Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
I've got a small Rouen drake, Keebler, who we noticed has angel wing on both sides. None of the other 9 ducks have it. We wrapped him up tonight. Hopefully this does the trick.

Please keep us posted . . . and make sure it's not too tight - they need good circulation. I haven't had to wrap before, but I have read a number of posts about it.

As for the cause of Angel Wing, it has to be more than just diet alone. We've got 5 small ducks and 5 big ducks. 3 of the small ones are drakes and they all eat the exact same thing, but only one of them has it, even though they came from the same hatchery. It could be a genetic condition that makes them process certain proteins differently. But whatever the cause is, it's more complicated than just diet alone.

As for the cause of Angel Wing, it has to be more than just diet alone. We've got 5 small ducks and 5 big ducks. 3 of the small ones are drakes and they all eat the exact same thing, but only one of them has it, even though they came from the same hatchery. It could be a genetic condition that makes them process certain proteins differently. But whatever the cause is, it's more complicated than just diet alone.
so how do you prevent Angel wing?

I am not sure how others wrap them but I tuck the wing tips back under the wing and I use paper tape to form a V shaped wrap by going around the top of the wing feathers behind the shoulder down to the bottom of the outer edge of the wing joint close to where it folds, back behind the top edge of the folded wing (careful not to get too close to the webbed skin because the tape can cut into it if it is too tight), back behind the wing down to the lower edge of the wing and then back around the wing tips. I keep alternating going up around the tip of the wing to hold it tucked in and the joint of the wing to keep it fold using a V shape. The duck can still lift the wing away from the body this way but it stays folded in place. It is important to keep it in as natural a folded position as possible and not fold the wing too tight. The wing can be taped to the body as well but I let them use the wing as much as possible for balance by just taping it into a natural folded position.

Ducks are very skilled at unwrapping vet wrap but if you have ever struggled to find the end of paper tape on the role you will see how much harder it is to get it to separate with a fingernail and it is even harder with a bill, especially if you end the wrap under the wing next to its body. The layers of tape can form a strong cast but I only use enough to hold the tip of the wing tucked under properly without making it too stiff. After about two weeks of bathing with the taped wing the tape will loosten up enough for the duck to get a hold of the end and start to unwind it. I will let the duck remove the tape on its own because by then the wing is positioned properly. The flight feathers are not obstructed so they can continue to grow and the blood from the blood feathers can recede to lighten the wing tips.

It seems angel wing shows up as ducks are growing in their flight feathers (if they develop it) so sometimes I wonder if the wing gets pulled out worse by the weight of the blood feathers. I have seen a wing flip out on occasion and tucking it back under a few times can sometimes help the duck carry it under on its own without even taping the wing. If you catch it early it is an easy fix. I have fixed full grown ducks before but I would not chance using a duck with a fixed angel wing for breeding because I think it could be a genetic weakness.

I only fix them to keep their wings functional and then I make sure to sell them as pets and not breeders. It is not something that shows up often in our flock so my hope is to eliminate the potential for it by removing the ones who get it from our breeding flock. We sell alot of ducklings so I don't get to see how all of our ducklings mature either. It is such an easy fix and it has not been determined to have a genetic link so I would not cull birds for something so minor, although some people do just in case.

Back
Top Bottom