Angel wing in ducks, & how we wrap to mend it - Pictorial

Pics
I'm having a hard time deciding how long to leave it on. Last time I did a full wrap at about 6 weeks, on our mystery duck who is a bit smaller than our Welsh Harlequins, and she unwrapped herself on the third day and was totally healed. These two are later and bigger and the Rouen's wing was worse.. I guess I'll take it off tomorrow morning and see how it looks. They still don't seem bothered by the tape!
I wasn't sure either. I got lucky when I took one off after just a few days. I didn't like the way it was looking but it was long enough that the wing healed. fl.gif for when you take the tape off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I read Holderread's guide to raising ducks yesterday, and he says to leave the tape on 10-14 days. He calls it slipped wing, I think, but it sounds like the same thing. But I couldn't wait and took it off today. The girls were so patient and sweet about it!

When the tape first came off, Sass, the Rouen, looked perfect, and Spunk, the Cayuga, looked better but the wing was still a little weird. Then after an hour of stretching and splashing and flapping and preening, they both had perfect crossed wingtips! But now, a few hours later, they look a little off. I just don't know. I think I'll give them a day to get used to using those muscles again and see how they look. This is tough!

400.jpg

400.jpg

400.jpg

400.jpg

?

Thanks! I read Holderread's guide to raising ducks yesterday, and he says to leave the tape on 10-14 days. He calls it slipped wing, I think, but it sounds like the same thing. But I couldn't wait and took it off today. The girls were so patient and sweet about it!

When the tape first came off, Sass, the Rouen, looked perfect, and Spunk, the Cayuga, looked better but the wing was still a little weird. Then after an hour of stretching and splashing and flapping and preening, they both had perfect crossed wingtips! But now, a few hours later, they look a little off. I just don't know. I think I'll give them a day to get used to using those muscles again and see how they look. This is tough!

400.jpg

400.jpg

400.jpg

400.jpg

?
It is tough to decide. I like your plan of giving them a day to adjust.
One of my drakes, Alton had very thick blood feathers and his wings drooped. He doesn't seem to use his muscles much at all. I don't know if wrapping would have helped him or not and I chose not. Tough decision. I might should have wrapped him.

I have a small call duckling with this. he is around 6 weeks old. my ducklings are not hand tame.

a) is it to late to try wraping it?
b) can they swim while it's wrapped?
c) does he need to be separated from the flock whole he is wrapped?

I have a small call duckling with this. he is around 6 weeks old. my ducklings are not hand tame.

a) is it to late to try wraping it?
b) can they swim while it's wrapped?
c) does he need to be separated from the flock whole he is wrapped?
It is not too late. I let mine get in the kiddie pool to bathe. The Vet-wrap held up really well.

I'm not familiar with calls or their behaviors so I will let someone else address that. I didn't separate my Muscovy. The others might have picked at it once or twice but mostly left it alone. I did read where someone didn't separate and their other ducks pulled the wrap off, lol. Good luck with yours fl.gif

It's not too late. I wrapped my duck at 8 weeks and he healed up fine.
As for swimming, it depends entirely on how waterproof the material you used to wrap is.
With regards to isolation, it's not necessary, per se, but my other ducks helped the injured one remove the wraps from time to time.

It's not too late. I wrapped my duck at 8 weeks and he healed up fine.
As for swimming, it depends entirely on how waterproof the material you used to wrap is.
With regards to isolation, it's not necessary, per se, but my other ducks helped the injured one remove the wraps from time to time.

700.jpg
700.jpg
Bibbed gray call drakelet with badly slipped left wing. Taped it up with just duct tape because it's impossible in my experience to keep anything else on. In about 7 days the tape will loose it's stick and voila! all better. His wing is horribly, badly slipped, and I don't think it will come out perfect, I expect his wing to droop a little, but not stick out. Will post after picture in a week. I need him as a breeder for my black call hens to produce more grays.

Back
Top Bottom