Announcing the new BYC Reputation System: Ovations

Mine are straightened up too. Unique Ovation and Ovation Received are now equal, and total Ovation is exactly 10 more than that number.

Looks like they're getting everything sorted out, the numbers make sense now.

thumbsup.gif

"Do not give points to a post of a member just because you like them.The POST itself should be worthy of the ovation points."

I do love the Ovation idea, now that I have read about it and understand its purpose. And I easily see where all the confusion comes from with it. Myself being a Facebooker and Pinterester! lol

However, I do suggest a real "like" button, along WITH an Ovation egg why? I see so many posts and so much space just taken up with an "OK" "thanks" got it" and so on... It really could clean up a bit and make things easier for everyone to read and share because we all like to be polite and to "like" a post gives acknowledgment. I have only posted a few times and feel likeI havent been able to say a quick thanks or got it and I dont want to clutter already long threads. Does that make sense? oh well

Just a suggestion from a newbe who is trying to figure it out!

Love the site bringing us together, thanks!
thumbsup.gif
psss and I reaaaaly love the smilies they are always cracking me up!

In the OP, Nifty posted this chart of the ovation levels. Understood it is a work in progress, and in fact the current levels/ovation requirements/etc aren't currently exactly the same as this early chart, but still this gives a good starting point. Since this is a work in progress, I know they want our feedback. How do you feel about the names/descriptions? What about the amount of "likes" required for each tier?

Note that in the early stages, you move up pretty quickly, and as time goes by each tier becomes farther and farther apart. I think that's good, and I've seen that system work well on other sites. This system encourages participation early on, but makes the fancy higher titles very hard to attain.

Some things to consider- should a "thought leader in the community" be higher than "a pillar in the community" or vice versa? Or should "becoming a leading voice" be higher than either of those?
How about the initial level, instead of "has just hatched!" say "welcome to BYC"? Should more than 10,000 be a legend, or "Crowing and flapping their wings"?
D.gif

Should the tier points be spread differently, like 5000 instead of 3000, or eliminate 750? Or is this an ideal structure to encourage participation?

In general I really like this structure, but I think you guys can come up with some great suggestions for tweaking it. Have a go and post your thoughts!

Last edited:
"Do not create multiple accounts to give points to yourself. You will be caught and all your points removed."

Somehow the above seems a bit amusing. And ominous too.
th.gif

I want to give ovations points but am afraid I will run out if I give too many. This happened to me once and I don't want it to happen again.
hmm.png
Here's what Nifty wrote early on. I also seem to recall something about a daily limit (like 10 per day), but I could be misremembering that. :)
Sorry for the confusion. You can always give ovation points as long as you aren't trying to "game" the system. The only time you can't give ovations is if you get demoted below 10 points... which would only happen if we discover you aren't using the system properly (as joked around in the post above mine)
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom