Another close call

DWH

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 26, 2009
A dog (black lab this time) came into my yard and again my dog just sat there! But the dog was deathly thin ribs were showing and everything.
sad.png
what should I have done? oh also I fed it some hot dogs. Poor thing It didn't seem interested in the chickens the dog was NOT stray

Quote:
Call animal control if they service your area. If it's not a stray and looks that bad it's certainly a victim of neglect. Re-homing or even euthanasia by animal services would be kinder then the "life" it currently has. It makes me sad that people can do that the animals they've commited to caring for.

Last edited:
Do you want a dog? Keep it after you take some photos of the awful condition it was in. If it didn't go after your birds when you knew it had to be hungry, then you may have found yourself a new best friend.

I had that same problem about 3 months ago. The pup had a leash collar around his neck and was dragging the rest. He was super thin (but not deathly thin) and super thirsty. It was the hottest part of the day for summer and we brought him inside. I did not have a heart to just tie him up outside while we called animal control....Well we called Animal control and they were at Haven Humane so they were going to get the pup. My husband and I talked and asked if we could keep it here till we found the owners.....(did not want him to be put to sleep or anything). We gave a description of the dog and our number and we called a couple of times a week to see if anyone was missing a dog. We even went on some online sites and made fliers. He does not mess with our birds (inside pets or our ducks outside). He jumps up on cages inside and just smells them but our ducks are huge (Muscovys). Our male duck is a meanie and he chases the pup. He is a basset hound mix (we think anyway... he has the legs for it mixed with some kinda terrier). We think someone dumped him off close by and he chewed through his leash. Now he is fattened up and loved. Has never shown any kind of aggression (besides strange animals in the yard or people) and is a better guard dog then our english spinger spaniel.

I hope all goes well with the dog you found. Good ones are hard to come by. Especially if they have been abused at one point in their life.

The dog is long gone and I'm hoping and praying it comes back, but It's probably dead by now.
sad.png
sad.png

Quote:
Some dogs are just skinny that way. One of my dogs is ribs-and-hip-bones-showing-skinny and gets plenty of food and exercise. Nothing's wrong with him, he's just thinly built. As for what you should have done, you can always report something that you question as abuse or neglect. It can't hurt. If the dog is truly just skinny, it would be easy enough to find out by animal control. And if there truly is neglect or abuse, they'll take care of it. I used to feed stray dogs. Personally, I don't do that anymore as it causes more trouble than it's worth. Once you adopt a dog, you're responsible for it. Hopefully that dog is home now.

When dogs came into my yard I caught them and called animal control regardless of neighbor ownership.Now after my dog got attacked by one I am not to keen on trying to catch them.

If it got food it might come back.

With the economy the way it is people are often just dumping their animals or leaving them in houses they vacate. It's horribly sad and a HUGE problem for shelters around the country.
If you fed him and were kind to him, he may come back. I have an outdoor cat who was an abandoned cat who is now a pet because we consistently fed her and were kind to her over the years. Took her a long time to trust us though.

Back
Top Bottom