Antibiotics for Pet Birds and Fish

I don't know. I have fishpen and aquamox. Unopened. I wish I knew best way to store and how long after it expires it would still effective.
I looked it up and out of about 10 sites I skimmed that applied to tablet form, not liquid amox, a couple came right out and said "do not freeze," but refrigeration was okay. I just went and stuck mine in the fridge. If it expires, it's still as potent for another year or two past that I surmise, and after that, it's maybe just slowly losing potency.

Me too. I've was surprised they were not pulled when they stopped all the others.

I suppose I'll be looking into natural options. Really don't know where to start. Right now everyone is healthy. :fl
Oregano oil I keep reading is a good natural antibiotic but I need to research that more. Like is this something they should be getting daily for their whole life or just when they show symptoms?

I read a study or two a while back concerning it's use in commercial poultry because of antibiotic resistance. I don't have a link as it was some time ago. Guess I'll be looking around to see what I can find.

Funny thing, I also read a news article about Tyson was giving up their "no antibiotics ever" pledge. Strange timing.

"For sustainable and long-term progress in the fight against antimicrobial resistance, the agency continues to foster good antimicrobial stewardship practices and promote the judicious use of antimicrobials so uses are limited to only when necessary to treat, control, or prevent disease. You can learn about CVM’s AMR goals and action items for the next five years from CVM’s five-year plan, “Supporting Antimicrobial Stewardship in Veterinary Settings, Goals for Fiscal Years 2024-2028.”

For more information about what readers should consider when analyzing the report, please review the FDA’s Questions and Answers: Summary Report on Antimicrobials Sold or Distributed for Use in Food-Producing Animals."
https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...s-sold-or-distributed-2022-use-food-producing

Antibiotics will continue to be available for use where appropriate. What needs to stop is treating them as prophylactics, or using the wrong one, in the wrong way, for the wrong time, at the wrong dose, which just makes the microbes stronger, so that when we REALLY need the antibiotics to work, they don't. This is not for a remote possible future; it is now.

"Currently, according to the deputy medical director for anaesthesiology and intensive care at St Nicholas Children's Hospital in Lviv, Ukraine, at least two-thirds of patients in this hospital had hospital-acquired and multidrug-resistant strains of bacteria as of Nov 22, 2022." From an article in the Lancet, April 2023. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...23)00264-5/fulltext?dgcid=raven_jbs_aip_email

We can't put this genie back in the bottle once it's out.

"For sustainable and long-term progress in the fight against antimicrobial resistance, the agency continues to foster good antimicrobial stewardship practices and promote the judicious use of antimicrobials so uses are limited to only when necessary to treat, control, or prevent disease. You can learn about CVM’s AMR goals and action items for the next five years from CVM’s five-year plan, “Supporting Antimicrobial Stewardship in Veterinary Settings, Goals for Fiscal Years 2024-2028.”

For more information about what readers should consider when analyzing the report, please review the FDA’s Questions and Answers: Summary Report on Antimicrobials Sold or Distributed for Use in Food-Producing Animals."
https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterina...s-sold-or-distributed-2022-use-food-producing

Antibiotics will continue to be available for use where appropriate. What needs to stop is treating them as prophylactics, or using the wrong one, in the wrong way, for the wrong time, at the wrong dose, which just makes the microbes stronger, so that when we REALLY need the antibiotics to work, they don't. This is not for a remote possible future; it is now.

"Currently, according to the deputy medical director for anaesthesiology and intensive care at St Nicholas Children's Hospital in Lviv, Ukraine, at least two-thirds of patients in this hospital had hospital-acquired and multidrug-resistant strains of bacteria as of Nov 22, 2022." From an article in the Lancet, April 2023. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...23)00264-5/fulltext?dgcid=raven_jbs_aip_email

We can't put this genie back in the bottle once it's out.
I second this. I have a job because of infections. I'd love to be out of work. :p While I've heard many arguments from both sides, I lean towards this being the right move. Many folks don't have either the knowledge or the diagnostic equipment to use antibiotics properly, depending on the situation. Home use of antibiotics is not the only reason or even the biggest reason that these strains are proliferating but it's certainly not helpful. I say this as someone that has used antibiotics on my animals without clinical supervision. I am hoping that as telehealth for animals expands, state rules around VCPR will relax, though physical testing will still be required in some cases.

I know there are some folks up in arms because they have no realistic access to a vet, and having antibiotics available OTC makes proper care possible—I hear this, and it's quite frustrating for those stuck in such a situation. I have been trying to find a qualified avian vet for years. It's not easy.

@Perris @Karasu

I am not a scientist. Farmers have been treating their own animals for ages. I don't think this is as much of a problem as industry's use of tons of antibiotics not for disease but just to promote growth in closely crowded conditions. This is our food chain.

My backyard chickens will never be part of that chain no more than any dog or cat I've had.

Unfortunately the antimicrobial resistance genie is already out of the bag.

This is just my opinion.

I recently took two 8 week old chicks to our vet in town. They showed symptoms of coccidiosis and ecoli infections. The fecals were negative.
The vet suspected anaerobic bacteria in the guts. He prescribed Metronidazole mixed with another solution because they didnt have liquid Metronidazole in stock.
I treated the two chicks for 5 days and it worked.
The vet only charged me $62 and I was grateful. The chicks are doing great and growing.

I recently took two 8 week old chicks to our vet in town. They showed symptoms of coccidiosis and ecoli infections. The fecals were negative.
The vet suspected anaerobic bacteria in the guts. He prescribed Metronidazole mixed with another solution because they didnt have liquid Metronidazole in stock.
I treated the two chicks for 5 days and it worked.
The vet only charged me $62 and I was grateful. The chicks are doing great and growing.
Wow! That's wonderful!
My vet that retired was good like that and would often give me advise by phone.
Sad day for me when he sold his practice and retired.

Back
Top Bottom