Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

@ChickNanny13 I've got the grogel stuff that's got vitamins and electrolytes in it so I've been mixing a small amount of that in water and hand watering her with a syringe. I've read about the miracle water too. But I'm trying to do little bits of raw egg yolk by syringe right now since she's not eating or drinking on her own. I have also been doing just plain water in my waterer for my other chicks because the mold seems to be a problem for lots of people and tons swear by plain fresh water. And for my feeder for the little chicks I've just got a plain soda box with the side cut down low. They love to stand in the feed so I just let them do it. I like the box with a sheet of paper towel so I can just change it out if they poop in the feeder. I've got a metal store bought feeder I'll use when they're a lil older!

@ChickNanny13 I've got the grogel stuff that's got vitamins and electrolytes in it so I've been mixing a small amount of that in water and hand watering her with a syringe. I've read about the miracle water too. But I'm trying to do little bits of raw egg yolk by syringe right now since she's not eating or drinking on her own. I have also been doing just plain water in my waterer for my other chicks because the mold seems to be a problem for lots of people and tons swear by plain fresh water. And for my feeder for the little chicks I've just got a plain soda box with the side cut down low. They love to stand in the feed so I just let them do it. I like the box with a sheet of paper towel so I can just change it out if they poop in the feeder. I've got a metal store bought feeder I'll use when they're a lil older!

FYI - If you're using FF, do not use a metal feeder. ACV & metal don't mix. Not sure raw yolk is good, I've read to use Nutri-Drench. There's a thread on tube feeding, I've never tried. Careful when using a syringe that it doesn't aspirate. It's hard when the babies don't do well, I've raised several batches of chicks for a friend over the years, the last set I lost my first. I've got a new set with a tiny one, so far it's doing good & holding up against the bigger ones but I feed it first, before the bigger ones are returned to their clean bin.

Yes I didn't use ACV and my metal feeder is not being used yet at all too, it's on the side until they get a little bigger. I was using the syringe super slowly to drip the water on the side of her beak and she would slowly drink it. But unfortunately she did not make it. The egg yolk was a recommendation by a friend who had used it with great success in the past. She was in such poor shape I figured I'm going to try all I can to help. My other 8 are doing great. I had a feeling I was fighting a loosing battle but we tried anyway. There was some problem with shipping and my chicks got here a day late. One had already passed before I got them and my Easter egger was in really rough shape. I had a couple others that were very lethargic the first day. But after a little sugar water and some convincing I got them to eat and they are all doing well! I've never tried FF and know very little about it, I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the advice! It's so sad to see such a tiny little baby so helpless. I'm so happy the others are all on the right track. @ChickNanny13

Yes I didn't use ACV and my metal feeder is not being used yet at all too, it's on the side until they get a little bigger. I was using the syringe super slowly to drip the water on the side of her beak and she would slowly drink it. But unfortunately she did not make it. The egg yolk was a recommendation by a friend who had used it with great success in the past. She was in such poor shape I figured I'm going to try all I can to help. My other 8 are doing great. I had a feeling I was fighting a loosing battle but we tried anyway. There was some problem with shipping and my chicks got here a day late. One had already passed before I got them and my Easter egger was in really rough shape. I had a couple others that were very lethargic the first day. But after a little sugar water and some convincing I got them to eat and they are all doing well! I've never tried FF and know very little about it, I'll have to look into it. Thanks for the advice! It's so sad to see such a tiny little baby so helpless. I'm so happy the others are all on the right track. @ChickNanny13

Sorry for your loss but you tried your best as we all do, have fun with the others.
I've thought of ordering from a hatchery but the thought of "shipment" in the hands of USPS scares me. Lucky for me there's someone here that raises & brings in from hatcheries.....I've purchased from her or Dels (they bring in March/April) and so far it's been good.

Enjoy your chicks, be careful of that "chicken math"...

Finally got my coop built and bought some chickens from a very nice lady in Kona. It looks like I probably have at least one rooster. One EE, two lavender Orpingtons, and two coronation Sussex/light Sussex crosses.

Last edited:
Aloha kākou,

I have found that fermented feed affects egg production. So I vary on how may days I ferment. Usually only half is a day old. Every once in a while, Iʻll fill up the bucket thatʻll last 4 days. Mostly for flies. I also put DE inside the feed periodically for fly control(and worms). But I have drastically cut down on fermentation lately.

Aloha, Puhi

Affect egg production in a bad way? Or good?
I've read such mixed reviews about fermented feed that I've decided not to try it for now. Im too inexperienced in it to want to try now when my chicks are thriving.

well, for the counter point... :)
FF has only affected egg production positively for us. as well as being part of what makes it possible to afford quality feed. used a FF system of sorts for years now and recommend it to everyone--its easy, costs nothing, and has many benefits. part of the confusion may arise from the fact that people may do it differently and therefor get differing results. (but even if some people experience "negative effects" on laying, the feed savings may still compensate--something to think about! :) ) its kinda hard to share the whole story of our system in a quicky post, but if you are really interested im happy to offer tips (ive given plenty workshops and stuff on it regularly too).

Last edited:
Aloha BYC islanders, Hafa Adai from GUAM!

I just wanted to know does anyone on here feed their birds the Organic feed or Freedom(nonGMO)feed from Asagi hatchery? I have a pretty good size flock of Asagi's Production Browns(RedSexlinks).

So rite now im thinking about trying to buy bulk from Asagi since Guam doesn't have many options for nonGMO or organic feed. Before i do that im trying to gather as much info and get reviews on the feed. Ive been reading that the King brand itself had a great name in california, but i havent heard specifically about the Organic and Freedom feeds from King brand.

Alohaz and EstaLaterz

Last edited:
Affect egg production in a bad way? Or good?
I've read such mixed reviews about fermented feed that I've decided not to try it for now. Im too inexperienced in it to want to try now when my chicks are thriving.
Interesting, I am also a noob concerning fermented feed. If ours gets wet, it clumps and the next day it has a grey-green haze on it, and by day two, it is full on "Sully" fuzzy from Monsters Inc! Is this what it is supposed to look like? It definitely has an odor about it, but not in a good way.

How do we do this safely for our chicks?

Back
Top Bottom