Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

In my covered coop/run I use woodchips; a store bought and home-chipped mix plus some Korean Natural Farming IMO products.... We've been taking the deep-litter approach which has worked surprisingly well, given that we are in super wet Puna district on Big Island. I haven't cleaned out our 100 sqft run (which houses seven chickens) in three months: Zero smell, zero flies. It looks like we're actually building soil under the run at this point
big_smile.png
great if you garden!

In my covered coop/run I use woodchips; a store bought and home-chipped mix plus some Korean Natural Farming IMO products.... We've been taking the deep-litter approach which has worked surprisingly well, given that we are in super wet Puna district on Big Island. I haven't cleaned out our 100 sqft run (which houses seven chickens) in three months: Zero smell, zero flies. It looks like we're actually building soil under the run at this point :D  great if you garden!

I do garden! And I live in Kalaheo, Kauai so something like that sounds good. I've got about two week until my chicks can go outside full time in their new coop so I'm trying to figure out what material we're going to use. I've currently got pine shavings in their brooder and that works.

we use straw deep litter. i think deep litters the way to go too--so much less trouble, and smell. its on dirt floor, so gets mixxed with a fair bit of dirt naturally, which i think makes it work best actually (or at least seems to). in uncovered outside run we use dry ficus leaves mostly, with a little woodchips when available. leaves are great esp if you want free, local, eco-groovy material, but some kinds can be a little course unless shredded first or partially decomposed.

brada puhi, we did the bsf for a while too--pretty cool stuff! had a tough time keeping a regular supply going though, but its something we might revisit in future...

Last edited:

We have a problem everyone. Me and QueenMisha are on a trip to Hawaii. We're on the island of kauai and we found a chick trapped under half a coconut!
We tried getting it to any of the mother hens around, but none would take her. We couldn't let it die alone, so we took her with hopes of finding someone on the island to bring her up. She's only just a week or so old.
Please if you can pm me as soon as you can! We're probably going to keep it here for a few days, we bought some grower feed and gave water. We made a small brooder from a box and netting.

Than you

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom