Any Hawaii Folks on BYC?

Aloha! We new to the chicken world and have not gotten any yet. The family is doing our research now and looking for some local opinions and advice.

We live in Mililani. I know chickens are not allowed but out friends have told us they have plenty of neighbors (in Mililani Mauka and town) that have hens and they are quiet. Our neighbors keep their windows shut and are pretty cool. Our kids are ages 5 and 7 and we are looking for a pet first and would love the benefit of eggs. We would like something larger but quiet. So far, we really like the Australorp but we know our choice maybe limited in Hawaii.

We would love any advice on what the best breed would be, any advice on hens in Mililani, and the best place to buy chicks on Oahu. I know Asagi sells them but do they sell Australorps or other good breeds? Also, anyone know about the chicken coop they sell at SAMs or recommend it? Sorry for all the questions, we are trying to do out homework.

Mahalo,

-RJ

Aloha,

I raise Cream Legbars, true Araucanas and Black Copper Marans. The first two lay blue eggs and the Marans lay very dark brown eggs. I like the Cream Legbars because they are auto sexing which means you know itʻs a female. I sell Cream Legbar chicks.

Iʻm not sure about the feed storeʻs on your side, but Kāneʻohe feed store and Waimānalo Feed Supply both import chicks from the hatcheries as does Asagiʻs. They do it every couple of months maybe. They may have some now, or you might have to wait. Supposedly they are all females 90% of the time. Another good thing about hatchery birds is that they are immunized for Cocci and maybe Marekʻs diseases. I have 4 Red Stars from a hatchery and they are great. Big brown eggs. You can also get Ameraucanas(Easter Eggers) from the feed stores which also lay blue eggs. I have also seen black Australorps at Waimānalo Feed Supply before.

My friend who raises chickens was talking about buying the one from Samʻs Club. Looks nice.

Aloha, Puhi

My friend who raises chickens was talking about buying the one from Samʻs Club. Looks nice.

Aloha, Puhi

I did hear about this as well while pursuing craigslist ads for a coop, and saw that Sams Club online sold several different coop models. Checking their stock availability of all of their coops on their website showed that they did not sell any of those in their physical stores here so I called up the Honolulu store and they flat out said that they did NOT sell any chicken coops and that they did not sell them at the other Sams Club in Hawaii either. The person also told me that they never ever did physically sell them, only sold them online which I'm skeptical about especially after hearing again here about Sams Club selling them. Shipping to Hawaii came out to 200-300 alone if I remember right for their online ones so I passed. Cheaper to get the same thing from Amazon assuming they do ship them to Hawaii. I tried to buy a coop/tractor that was posted on Craigslist but the seller flaked at the end and could not be bothered to commit to a time/day to meet up, so I ordered one built from http://aquaponicsinparadise.com/mychickencoop/index.html and it was completed as of last night. I pick it up tomorrow. Hopefully the quality/build is what I'm expecting it to be. We shall see.

-Paul

Aloha Paul,

Mahalo for da props.

I like to build my own coops. Maybe not as beautiful but..... That way I can utilize the space that I have. I get the wood from Re-use Hawaiʻi for a pretty good deal. I also collect wood from houses under construction. Shortly after they finish the roof and walls, they get extra wood that you can scab.

I am a science teacher too in Pālolo. I plan to build a coop at school and do fermented feed, black soldier fly larvae as well as fermented plant juice and stuff. I do that with my seniors. Let me know if you like some kōkua.

Kden, Puhi

I did hear about this as well while pursuing craigslist ads for a coop, and saw that Sams Club online sold several different coop models. Checking their stock availability of all of their coops on their website showed that they did not sell any of those in their physical stores here so I called up the Honolulu store and they flat out said that they did NOT sell any chicken coops and that they did not sell them at the other Sams Club in Hawaii either.  The person also told me that they never ever did physically sell them, only sold them online which I'm skeptical about especially after hearing again here about Sams Club selling them.  Shipping to Hawaii came out to 200-300 alone if I remember right for their online ones so I passed.  Cheaper to get the same thing from Amazon assuming they do ship them to Hawaii.  I tried to buy a coop/tractor that was posted on Craigslist but the seller flaked at the end and could not be bothered to commit to a time/day to meet up, so I ordered one built from http://aquaponicsinparadise.com/mychickencoop/index.html and it was completed as of last night.  I pick it up tomorrow.  Hopefully the quality/build is what I'm expecting it to be. We shall see.

-Paul

Paul,

Congrats on your new chicks! I actually saw the coop at the SAMs in Pearl City. We decided to build our own since it was $320 + tax and I can build a pretty nice one for less.

My neighbors are very quiet and keep to themselves. We have nobody that lives behind us so hopefully nobody will be bothered by our chickens. Hoping to have my fence run done in two weeks and the coop built a couple weeks later. So we are looking at getting our chicks in early September or late August.

Would love to see some pics of your baby cream leg bars and see them as they grow!

-RJ

Would love to see some pics of your baby cream leg bars and see them as they grow!

-RJ

Pics:

In our office:

With toddler #A - excuse the mess.

Outside with B, A and C.

Eating bugs that I unearth for them:

In another part of the yard - the dog and small tortoise's toileting area (you can see the tort poop) - they started unearthing bugs themselves today!

In the backyard near Fred the big tort's den. They haven't started riding Fred around, but I'm sure they will when they get older and big enough to jump on him.

Clear larger photo. Side yard.

The coop/run combo. $260. Was disappointed the builder didn't want to deal with building a door to the run even though there should have been one. No easy way to add water/food or let chickens out. I will have to cut the wire off at the end, build a new door frame and install one to the end. The rear door is difficult to unhook to open for collecting eggs. Was supposed to be kid-friendly. I will have to toss it make a new latching system. Probably go with a bungee cord. Roof had a large gap at the high slope point. Large enough for pigeons to fly into the coop or chickens to escape from if young enough. Not shown in pic as I added wood to it to close it off. There are also a lot of sharp points from chicken wire that's exposed at the corners. I worry about my toddlers hurting themselves on it so I'll have to break out the grinder and try to grind those down. Nevertheless, for $260 and not having to spend my precious time building one, it seems reasonable enough. But what do I know.

This is where it will probably spend most of it's time. Today I removed a bunch of junk, plants, rocks and trash from the dirt, ran a tiller through the dirt to level it out then moved the coop there. A while back I had removed the sprinkler heads that used to be there so it seems to be the best spot for the coop. No spraying water at 6 AM... Also the dirt has not been dressed/modified with compost/topsoil/verm like I did with the rest of the property so it could use the mess (feed and poo) the chickens will be putting in the dirt there. Once the run has been modified to have a door and the chicks are ready to move there, I'll move the bike rack back and the run forward a bit so that the door can be opened by my kids each morning.

Yep.

-Paul

Hey everybody took some pics of my other breed chickens today

Pic 1= Americana
Pic 2=mixed marans
Pic 3=silkies mix coop
Pic 4=cochin mix coop

Back
Top Bottom