Any Home Bakers Here?

Pics

N F C

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Dec 12, 2013
KY
For the past year I've been learning how to bake yeast breads here at home. It's been challenging and rewarding (when it all comes together right, lol).

Today for the 1st time I made up a Boule recipe and ran into a snag. Is there anyone here that's familiar with yeast breads? Since I'm here several times a day reading about chickens, it would be great to chat with others that also bake.
===================================================
Updated 07-18-21: To find all the great recipes posted in this thread, click on one of the links below to go to a Google spreadsheet (then use the links in the spreadsheet to locate each recipe):

Baker Thread Index

Bread, Rolls, Pizza bases, starters

Cookies and Bars

Dinners and Vegetables

Desserts

Snacks, Sweets

Misc and Everything Else

Hints, Tips and How-to's

Last edited:
I bake, I love when my house smells like home made bread and then to eat it fresh out of the oven with a bit of butter. Oh my. My new passion is I have been researching sour dough because I love it as does my stepson and to be able to make it at home would be awesome. I also love making baked goods, I can my produce from my garden, I cook anything and everything I can get my hands on a recipe for, and have also taken to making home made dog treats. I spend my time outside on BYC or pinterest. LOL.

I would love to swap recipes or have others willing to offer advice, great idea you have here.
celebrate.gif

I too am excited!!
I would love you recipes I love trading them and I even have a cook notebook (with recipe cards) to put all the recipes I have. I collect local cookbooks from churches and benefits. I love them its like having peoples stories at my finger tips.

Here is the recipe I talked about. It says making bread in five minutes a day (and its true!!!)

recipe is made in a stand mixer.
3 cups warm water
1 1/2 tablespoons salt ( I use kosher or sea salt!!)
1 1/2 tablespoons yeast
6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

Put water in mixer bowl ( i warm it up first to not drop the temp of the water down)
add salt (first before yeast I was shocked but went with it and it works and won't harm the yeast)
sprinkle the yeast over the water
measure out flour and dump it in the mixer

put mixer on slowest speed then turn it up to #2 or #3 just until is it all mixed and pulls away from the edge of the bowl

Let rest for 2 hours, ( i cover mine with a warm towel and I found the best place to put mine is in the microwave it is free of drafts and stays warm!!!)

When you are heating the oven place a pan that will hold water in while it heats up and just before you put the bread in put a few cups of water in the pan I use a 9x13
put bread in at 350 and bake for 60 minutes

best and easiest bread recipe to date!!!

I can't begin to count the number of times that I've had a craving for some unknowable thing and started looking through cookbooks, and searching internet sites, and even going through a large stuffed to the gills folder of recipes that were hand written and handed down and recipes I clipped from magazines and newspapers yrs ago. Only to find myself hours later still having baked nothing and way to late to get started and going to bed thinking of all those great sounding recipes. Maybe that's why I drool in my sleep:drool.

What an AWESOME thread! Thank you for editing and putting in the links for the recipes! What a fantastic thing! Such community building!

While my mom's baking was limited (usually modifying box brands to become more amazing, such as Bisquick biscuits), I took an interest in baking some time ago. First attempt at pie dough was a massive failure because I didn't know the butter had to be cold. Years later, I put the fear aside when one of the first baking shows on the then infancy of TV Food Network showed me I *could* indeed do it. Nick Malgieri's _Baker's Dozen_ show demystified the process for me, and off I went. Gosh, I just did the math in my head and it was at least 25 years ago. ANYHOW, bread was my next conquest but sourdough remained elusive for quite some time, honestly until 2018/2019. Christmas Day in 2018 provided the crock and starter, and soon after it was off to the races. Once I got the discard thing down and the pattern of feeding versus fridge time, and using a dutch oven for the baking, it became second nature, and I love it. I feel like it's sort of a meditative practice in many ways, and I'm usually making 3-4 loaves a week both for our family and some dear friends that need a little extra TLC.

King Arthur Baking has been such a great source of recipes - and we sure have loved the deep dish pizza dough recipe (2020 recipe of the year). But I must say, getting special recipes that have been passed down in families is such a precious thing! I love it.

Thank you again for this fantastic thread!

Back
Top Bottom