Any idea what these growths on this chick could be?

Nooby-bator

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2023
6E16247E-E989-4150-B801-0664D5FD9FF6.jpeg

Attachments

• D7EBACED-6F01-4DD2-BA7B-D69A2F393020.jpeg
    D7EBACED-6F01-4DD2-BA7B-D69A2F393020.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 8E1E8546-6EC2-42E6-9A5B-39B87F40476D.jpeg
    8E1E8546-6EC2-42E6-9A5B-39B87F40476D.jpeg
    345.7 KB · Views: 7
Is the baby with other chicks?

Any chance there may be an infection related to pecking/ injuries?

Do the “growths” feel warm to the touch?

And, other than the “bumps”, is the chick behaving, eating, and drinking normally?

Any abnormalities in the poo?

And other observations could also be helpful!

Fowl pox.
It's a viral infection spread by mosquitoes. The virus usually clears up with in a few weeks, but may circulate through the flock for a month, or two on it's own. The birds will be immune to fowl pox after getting infected. This is Dry pox, so nothing special needs to be done.

Wet pox is a different story, since you'll have to help your chickens through the illness.

Is the baby with other chicks?

Any chance there may be an infection related to pecking/ injuries?

Do the “growths” feel warm to the touch?

And, other than the “bumps”, is the chick behaving, eating, and drinking normally?

Any abnormalities in the poo?

And other observations could also be helpful!
These are our surprise ‘wild’ chicks from our escapee chicken so we haven’t handled them too much nor can we observe them much as they’re usually off in the gardens.

Both of the 2 chicks have these growths so it may be pecking but I doubt it. Mum doesn’t seem to have the same issue though.

Hubby said the growths didn’t feel particularly warm.

Chicks seem to be behaving normally and acting happy but again I can’t see them most of the time nor have I seen their poo.

I agree that is the dry form of fowl pox, a virus carried by mosquitoes. It lasts about 3-4 weeks. No treatment is needed, unless scabs are near eyes. What is your location in the world? Make sure the chicks can see well enough to get enough food and water, since the bigger pox scabs on chicks can block eye sight and nostrils. If any seem particularly sick, look inside the beak and throat for any yellow patches, which would be wet pox. That type is more deadly.

I agree that is the dry form of fowl pox, a virus carried by mosquitoes. It lasts about 3-4 weeks. No treatment is needed, unless scabs are near eyes. What is your location in the world? Make sure the chicks can see well enough to get enough food and water, since the bigger pox scabs on chicks can block eye sight and nostrils. If any seem particularly sick, look inside the beak and throat for any yellow patches, which would be wet pox. That type is more deadly.
Ok great thank you. I’m in Australia!
I’ll keep an eye on them but hopefully it is just dry pox.

I'm praying for your chicks can come one explain to me all the things to watch for with chickens since I'm learning to this day since last yr and didn't know about a lot of things and still don't with chickens like this is new to me the wet and dry pox ?????

Back
Top Bottom