Any other hawaiians out there?

Pics
Question--

My father and stepmother are in Ocean View on the Big Island. We're visiting them next weekend for an anniversary/birthday/father's day celebration (we're in WA), and I was wondering if there was anyone nearby who would be willing to sell some chicks or hens. They've been talking about chickens, and I'd love to bring some babies or hens as gifts to them. Anyone???
how did I miss this post? Hope it is not too late. I am in Ocean View and have lots of chicks. email me direct if ya still need them. [email protected]

Hi, I was wondering if there is any one on Oahu that knows where can I find Sweet PDZ. I was reading other forums on BYC and would like to use it as bedding in my coop.

The shipping to Hawaii is twice the amount of the product. I hope to find it locally stocked on Oahu.
Edit - never mind I found it at a ranch store in Waimanalo.

Last edited:
So glad they were a hit! Next time you make it to Hawaii we will have to actually meet instead of "pass like ships in the night".
gig.gif

Hi! I see there are quite a few people from or living on Maui. I'm actually from Waimanalo, but currently live in Haiku, Maui. Love the area!! Reminds me of how Waimanalo used to be...long time ago.

I'm a new egg--(LOL, I think that's a cute title!)--to backyard chickens, but I fell in love with it INSTANTLY!! I have 6 RIR chicks
love.gif
yippiechickie.gif
at 4 weeks old. They've already got most of their feathers, so they've been sleeping outside (near the front door steps so I can keep a watchful eye on them) for the past 4 nights. I must say, they make the BEST alarm systems...better than my dogs LOL...because they'll do their little alarm call whenever our neighbor's dog comes into our yard to defecate! No sooner they see him, they start cheeping and calling...I grab my sling shot and run to the window just in time to sneak a quick THWAP to his rump!
celebrate.gif
LOL
lau.gif
I LOVE MY CHICKIES!!!

Just returned from Big Island. Live in Pa. My sister is in hawaiian Acres, Hilo area. she just has a few and they r pets. I just set up my coop and am new to BYC. At least she doesn't have to deal with sub zero temps. All my family have been there from Day one. We have hawaiian blood and documentation. Any chicken lovers in my sisters area of Hilo? Had to reply, leilani. ALOHA

LOL The funny thing about poi dogs...they run from rocks, but lay out in the middle of the street as if they own it. When you drive up to them, they pick their heads up from the ground only long enough to look at you like "What? You REALLY think I'm moving for YOU?!"
lau.gif
Then they go back to sleep!!!!
lau.gif

My dog, Ehu, was like that when I was growing up in Waimanalo. We'd leave for school in the morning--she'd be in the (locked & fenced) yard--and by the time we came home from school, she'd be laying in the middle of the road
hu.gif
soaking up the sun like she owned all of it!!! LOL LOL
gig.gif
Cars would beep--mostly from people who don't live in the area, or aren't used to seeing poi dogs--then go around... waaaayy funny to watch!!! In fact, before even video games came into existence, we watched Ehu make cars go around her!!! LOTS OF FUN!!!
pop.gif

I certainly don't condone my dogs doing that now, considering the area I live in is so overrun with people who think a 20 mph sign means 40 and 50 mph--and the fact that my own family is so attached to the idea of keeping our girls safe
clap.gif
until they pass on from old age.
old.gif
love.gif

My sister lives in Volcano, though I'm not familiar with Big Island and wouldn't know how far or close that is to Hawaiian Acres, and I'm trying to convince her to get her own chickie babies (her daughter just returned home from visiting with us for two weeks & fell in LOVE
love.gif
with our Saucy) since her property is so H U G E! lol But she's afraid the mongoose & wild boar would just wreak havoc and scare them away...
th.gif
Am I going to be the one to tell her the wild boar will dig up her yard waaay more than chickens would??? Nope! Am I going to tell her that the mongoose won't come in very close to heavily populated human areas??? Nope! What am I? A chicken expert?!
bow.gif
Nope!
th.gif
Just someone who has a little experience with both & I've done my "research"...is all!
highfive.gif

OH!!
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom