anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

Mine really tore into the 4-day barley sprouts I gave them. I'm trying to do it a few times a week, but also keep them with layer pellets on demand to keep all the nutrients in balance. They get a ton of greens out of the greenhouse most days as well.

Richard in Neenach, California

50-lb sack of whole barley at the feed store.

They do seem to love the stuff. I think they like it better as 4-day sprouts than full greens, but they get lots of greens from the garden, anyway.

Where do you all get the seeds from to start sprouting?

Where do you all get the seeds from to start sprouting?
If you are in the Kingman Area, I get my seeds from Cerbat Feed on Bank Street just off Northern. This is where I get Barley, Oats and Wheat.

I understand that Stockton Hill Feed and Grain also has Barley.

Here's an Idea, call your local feed store(s) and ask on the phone ...

Skip

Last edited:
If I am trying to offset prepared feed costs and also feed a healthier diet to chicks, how do I substitute sprouts/fodder in their ration? For instance, if 1 lb of dry seed yields 4 lb of sprouts/fodder, am I getting 4x the amount of nutrition or do I end up having to feed more than 1 lb of sprouts to get the same nutrition as 1 lb of seed? I am hoping to be able to feed them their protein and vitamins along with letting them free-range in addition to sprouts and garden produce. Any thoughts?

I have been reading through the thread and see where some say to feed when sprout is half of seed length, some say the longer youcan let them grow the better, etc. Are there certain seeds you let sprout to certain stages?

Thanks!

If I am trying to offset prepared feed costs and also feed a healthier diet to chicks, how do I substitute sprouts/fodder in their ration? For instance, if 1 lb of dry seed yields 4 lb of sprouts/fodder, am I getting 4x the amount of nutrition or do I end up having to feed more than 1 lb of sprouts to get the same nutrition as 1 lb of seed? I am hoping to be able to feed them their protein and vitamins along with letting them free-range in addition to sprouts and garden produce. Any thoughts?

I have been reading through the thread and see where some say to feed when sprout is half of seed length, some say the longer youcan let them grow the better, etc. Are there certain seeds you let sprout to certain stages?

Thanks!

Perhaps, while the chicks are small, you could chop up their sprouts/fodder and mix through their food?

Thanks!
I'm sooooo new at this, but what I read seems to point me in two directions with the sprouts, and so far, I notice the chickens seem to notice.

1. Grain. Sprouted 3-5 days, until the seeds have basically "unpacked" all the chemicals nature provided to feed the plant embryo, but BEFORE the plant starts to send the shoots up vertically. No green, in other words. The sprouts haven't formed a mat yet, and you're still feeding grans. It's like you're making the grains easier to digest for the chickens.

2. Green. Sprouted 6-9 days, until the seeds have formed the mat, have sent up lots of green shoots, and basically look like alfalfa sprouts. The seeds have used the "unpacked" embryonic growth chemicals, and are actually young tender greens. Different nutrients are available at this point. It's like you're giving the chickens good green feed along with some healthy root structures.

If I feed the sprouted grains, the chickens just tear into them. If I feed the green sprouts, it takes them longer, but they still eat it all.

I do both, so the chickens are getting the benefits of both.

FWIW, I could be completely wrong on all this!

I'm sooooo new at this, but what I read seems to point me in two directions with the sprouts, and so far, I notice the chickens seem to notice.

1. Grain. Sprouted 3-5 days, until the seeds have basically "unpacked" all the chemicals nature provided to feed the plant embryo, but BEFORE the plant starts to send the shoots up vertically. No green, in other words. The sprouts haven't formed a mat yet, and you're still feeding grans. It's like you're making the grains easier to digest for the chickens.

2. Green. Sprouted 6-9 days, until the seeds have formed the mat, have sent up lots of green shoots, and basically look like alfalfa sprouts. The seeds have used the "unpacked" embryonic growth chemicals, and are actually young tender greens. Different nutrients are available at this point. It's like you're giving the chickens good green feed along with some healthy root structures.

If I feed the sprouted grains, the chickens just tear into them. If I feed the green sprouts, it takes them longer, but they still eat it all.

I do both, so the chickens are getting the benefits of both.

FWIW, I could be completely wrong on all this!

goodpost.gif
Richard, your experience is similar to what I have experienced with my chickens. I too like to do the range from 2 to 4 day old sprouts to fodder at 5 to 7 days. I alternate between white winter wheat and barley. I also have some triple cleaned oats (horse feed) that does not sprout too well, so I just soak that overnight and then feed it out to them for variety (and to USE UP THAT BAG OF OATS I BOUGHT!!!
wink.png
)

Does anyone know what age you can start feeding sprouts to chicks? My chicks are 5 weeks and assume it's to soon but was wondering if it was OK at about 2 months old or so.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom