anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

I start by adding chick grit to the chick starter and after a few days with grit I start on the "finer" sprouts. I do this as soon as everybody is hatched and they are in the brooder. I have never had a problem with green poop.

Good luck and do what works for you.
Same here, I brood mine on sand and dirt (all the grit a chick could want) and start feeding greens, small sprouts, small feeder insects from a couple of days old on.

Anyone that feeds spouts to chicks, do you think it makes them grow and get to laying faster than not feeding spouts? Just wonder what all the benefits are?

Thanks.
I've read a lot about Korean natural farming, they practice feeding young chicks greens and "roughage" at a very young age and state the reason is it makes the digestive tract longer, stronger, and more effecient. I have no proof of that or if it makes chickens lay quicker or better. I started it as a type of "common sense" approach to how chicks have grown and developed for thousands of years of chicken living on this Earth.

Anyone that feeds spouts to chicks, do you think it makes them grow and get to laying faster than not feeding spouts? Just wonder what all the benefits are?

Thanks.
I haven't seen anything special because I've sprouted for the chickens. I sprouted because of the lack of greenery for them to eat in winter time (and will most likely do it this summer when the grass dies again).

So how do you sprout sunflower seeds? What kind do you buy? Is it just the kind I put in my bird feeder.... Because I have a ton of that

Check out www.sproutman.com for information on growing sprouts
smile.png
They have sprouters and seeds available. It looks easy and I'm going to try it.

So how do you sprout sunflower seeds? What kind do you buy? Is it just the kind I put in my bird feeder.... Because I have a ton of that

You can use those sunflower seeds. Basic thing is to soak overnight and then put in a tray that you can drain. Rinse from 1x to 3x a day, depending on what you find works for you. I have not done sunflower seeds, so I don't know how long they take to sprout. Good luck with sprouting!!!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom