anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

Are there any sprouts you shouldn't feed your chickens? I eat sprouts myself all the time and during the winter I decided to give some to my girls. Most of the time I do lentils, but I got some mung beans and gave them to my girls. They didn't like them as much, is it just their preference?

Are there any sprouts you shouldn't feed your chickens? I eat sprouts myself all the time and during the winter I decided to give some to my girls. Most of the time I do lentils, but I got some mung beans and gave them to my girls. They didn't like them as much, is it just their preference?

I have not sprouted mung beans and I have heard that they are not a favorite for chickens. Mine LOVE oats, wheat , lentils, sunflower, alfalfa and whatever else I can find. Try something else!! good luck!!

Originally Posted by Summerlove

I do not sprout black eyed peas because I read they have an anti nutrient that does not go away with just sprouting. Those have to be cooked to get rid of the anti nutrient.

I use fenugreek (Methi) seeds, bought in bulk spice bags from the Asian shop. It sprouts really fast so can be used in about 4-5 days. Sesame seeds failed to sprout. Planning to make a growing fodder tray covered with wire mesh so they can only peck the bits that grow thru and can't scratch it all up.

thumbsup.gif

Ok clueless question...

Is there a diff between sprouting for your chickens and giving them fodder? Is one better than the other?

Ok clueless question...

Is there a diff between sprouting for your chickens and giving them fodder? Is one better than the other?
Just the number of days you let the seed grow, it is a sprout around 4 or less days w/o any actual green plant part growing, just the root and the first leaves (not true leaves) if that. If you allow the seed to actually produce a small plant (usually arournd 5-8+days) that is fodder.

Sprouts are easier, quicker and have less mold problems, fodder has more bulk and acutal "green" parts for the chickens to eat.

Both have more nutrients available then the seed. There is alot of back and forth over whether the fodder has more food value or not (then the sprout). For feed out to grazers and buns I think fodder is better, but for my chickens I do sprouts, they love them, easy for them to eat, and easy for me to grow. I tried the fodder and quickly went back to my burlap bag sprouts.

Back
Top Bottom