anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

How old do chicks need to be before feeding them sprouts?
Can this be used as a protein replacement for soy or more as a treat?
I have read that the protein doesn't actually increase, but is just made more available for chicks. Any input?
What about increased fiber? I have read can be bad for chicks.

Live foods do wonders for us, and are a "natural" for our birds. How would we do on a steady diet of "cereal" that's been heated and compressed?
Mine get 6 qts a day of sprouts.
Starts out as a pint container of lentils, wheat, &/or barley, & is 6 quarts in 7 days. Cheapest & best winter food!

Mine get 6 qts a day of sprouts.
Starts out as a pint container of lentils, wheat, &/or barley, & is 6 quarts in 7 days. Cheapest & best winter food!
Hi, I am interested as to how many birds this will feed. ? The 6 quarts.
Thank you

I wish I could tell you; I use this as a rather hearty supplement to their regular feed, which is a cracked grain mix with camelina (check that out on google!) hulls, after most of the oil has been pressed out. I buy it bagged, locally, choosing to get away from the heat-pressed bagged cereal.

I wish I could tell you; I use this as a rather hearty supplement to their regular feed, which is a cracked grain mix with camelina (check that out on google!) hulls, after most of the oil has been pressed out. I buy it bagged, locally, choosing to get away from the heat-pressed bagged cereal.
I never know if I am overfeeding them. I have a tendency to want to make sure their bellies are full.
Thanks.

I feel inspired as well. Just an hour ago I was wondering what else I could feed my hens and thought of sprouting. Thanks for the confirmation.

As far as overfeeding goes, I'm sure that there are experts out there who will disagree, but . . .
I figure that a bird - or any animal - on its own will eat what, as, how & when they want. Sometimes because they are hungry, sometimes opportunistically (winter coming on, raising young, etc.). On that note, I see far more overwieght people (get that mirror away from me, thank you!) than I see overweight chickens . . .

http://www.foddersolutions.org/ for all you sprouters check out this website. I bought a fodder machine for my horses sheep and cattle on my farm. My chooks also enjoy the sprouts and the savings in feed is amazing. this is a commercial machine but it has paid itself off on the feed i've already saved. 1 kg of barley turns into 8 kg of feed.
The sheep and cattle can survive during drought on 1 1/2 biscuts (trays) per day and my 40 chooks will take 1 biscut a week with other grain suppliment.
Sprouting is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom