anybody raise sprouts to feed the chickens?

My chickens LOVE my sunflower sprouts! My flock of 6 devour a whole tray in a day... black oil seeds are cheap and easy to grow in soil in trays... they love getting in there and scratching around!

My wheat grass trays. Easy to do for sure. They love it too.

Can I get input on peas vs oats vs barley sprouted?
Mine like the wheat and BOSS, but wanted to add diversity. They were picky with barley from what I remember.
What do yours like the best?
For ducks and chickens

Last edited:
Wow, my chickens must be picky. I bought a small container of organic sunflower sprouts and one of pea sprouts just to see if they would like it, and they turned their noses up at it, as well as some beautiful organically farmed dandelion greens. Sigh.

Wow, my chickens must be picky. I bought a small container of organic sunflower sprouts and one of pea sprouts just to see if they would like it, and they turned their noses up at it, as well as some beautiful organically farmed dandelion greens. Sigh.
Give them time. Let them get a little hungry too. Once they try them, they'll love them.

You don't have to buy sprouts, sprouting is easy peasy!

Give them time. Let them get a little hungry too. Once they try them, they'll love them.

You don't have to buy sprouts, sprouting is easy peasy!

I only bought one little pint container of them (growing in soil) to see if they liked them before I started my sprout growing endeavor. They about knock me over to get to sunflower seeds, so I assume they should love sprouts. I'll try again.

It seems that some folks are referring to micro greens as sprouts. Sprouts aren't grown in dirt from what I know. To my understanding sprouts aren't green because they haven't been exposed to sunlight which gets the chlorophyll activated. I have been researching and am finding the micro greens to be more beneficial due to the chlorophyll and some of the hulls in sprout seeds containing anti nutrients. Am I reading the right information?

Where are you all getting your BOSS and other seeds like Brocoli and Chia?

I know it is off topic, but I am searching for an old post I read on this site years ago. The topic was discussing growing your own chicken feed. Someone posted something to the extent of "I don't know why you all aren't growing ___________, which is a very high protein plant that is easy to grow- hasn't caught on in the US and is mostly for livestock feed where it is grown". I want to say it may have been a root vegtable but I can't remember. I do recall they said it didn't have much taste but was very healthy. Any ideas?

It seems that some folks are referring to micro greens as sprouts. Sprouts aren't grown in dirt from what I know. To my understanding sprouts aren't green because they haven't been exposed to sunlight which gets the chlorophyll activated. I have been researching and am finding the micro greens to be more beneficial due to the chlorophyll and some of the hulls in sprout seeds containing anti nutrients. Am I reading the right information?

Where are you all getting your BOSS and other seeds like Brocoli and Chia?

I know it is off topic, but I am searching for an old post I read on this site years ago. The topic was discussing growing your own chicken feed. Someone posted something to the extent of "I don't know why you all aren't growing ___________, which is a very high protein plant that is easy to grow- hasn't caught on in the US and is mostly for livestock feed where it is grown". I want to say it may have been a root vegtable but I can't remember. I do recall they said it didn't have much taste but was very healthy. Any ideas?
Sprouts CAN be green, it depends on how much light they get, most people on this thread I believe keep them in semi or complete darkness and then let them have light at the last day or 2, I know that's how you do fodder and they are pretty much the same thing, fodder is just a little older and more of a plant than a sprout.

Back
Top Bottom