Anyone else excited for chick season? Just for fun :)

Welp, Metzer is outta stock, so just 1 order of ducklings it seems this year
I can’t believe how many hatcheries are sold out. Can’t get a brown layer at Ideal until the last week of June. McMurray close to sold out. Mt Healthy is limiting orders due to so many calls.

Spent 45 minutes in line waiting for chicks at the feed store and then an additional 50 minutes waiting for our turn to pick. But we got our chicks! Good variety honestly, I was worried about getting my BLRW mostly. 12 chick limit, 6 of same breed

2 BLRW
1 BCM
1 Cuckoo Marans

Then to raise as started pullets
2 gold sex links
2 red sex links
2 black sex links

I have a McMurrays order coming in April and am probablyyyyyyyy placing a Meyers order for end of summer/fall. Most likely bantams for that one

Is anyone else super excited for chick season? Any particular breeds you're hoping to purchase or hatch?

I have never been so excited for spring and summer in my life (I'm an autumn-loving kind of gal) PURELY because CHICKS!

We're first-time chicken owners (we have eight 7-month-olf Black Australorps we adore), and I cannot wait until it's chick season. Chicken math bit me HARD, and I convinced my husband to let me purchase just 3-4 chicks in the spring. EEEEEEE!!!!

I'm hoping to get Easter Eggers and Speckled Sussex from Mt Healthy Hatchery. My husband would get more Australorps ("I'm an Australorp man" he says, having only owned that breed LOL), but he sees the value in experimenting with some other breeds ....... and also making his wife and son happy :D. I keep researching the breeds to occupy my brain until we can order them.

I can't wait to hear their little peeping noises again and have tiny fluffy butts running around! It might be the last batch of chicks we have for a while, so I want to savor it. Hurry up, spring!
I really need the snow, rain and ice to stop for a week so I can rent a skid steer and get the foundation in so I can start construction. :jumpy 15 chicks arrive 4/26!!! My Livingroom looks like a mix of lumber yard and Pet Store. My daughters are considering an intervention for me.:lau The Dining room table makes a great workbench.

Happy little chirps, my favourite sound!

5A1F664C-8298-4EB4-851C-BCD753F46D1F.jpeg
5BE9A75F-F989-4757-BDD4-D2DCDC8CB290.jpeg

SOOOO glad I ordered a month ago! Only 74 days until they come... :)
Me too! I put 2 orders in, one for Ideal & one for Mt Healthy (for us, a family member, and 2 co-workers), and a family member has an order from McMurray but might end up canceling it closer to that time (was put in “just in case” something happened with some of her flock). Another co-worker lost the last 4 hens in her flock to a fox a few weeks ago, (unknown hole in run fence), so now she is looking for chicks too. We wanted Bielefelder, Cochin, Naked Neck & Lavender Orpington, so we have chicks in both orders. Splitting with 3 other people keeps shipping costs down!

Back
Top Bottom