Anyone else excited for chick season? Just for fun :)

I have a broody who started sitting a couple days ago!! I’m so excited to have little chicks from her! She is currently on 13 eggs. (She’s a big FBCM, so she is more than capable of sitting on that many. The last time she went broody, she had 13 eggs and 11 of them hatched) I just moved her tonight to her “broody cage” and I’m hoping that she continues to sit! Her eggs should hatch the first week of March!

chicken_math.jpg

Chicks... little peeping balls of fluff... :love

I really want more chicks. My girls will be 2 and 3 years old this spring/summer. I have come to dislike store bought eggs.

I need to work on DH to enlarge the coop first... Yeah, if I go by the standard of 4sf in the coop and 10 sf in the run suggestion, I have have room for 4 more birds as it is right now. But I want a bigger coop so that I can make it easier/better for everyone, me included.

But chicks... oh, my...
I like that "make it easier/better for everyone" who is whispering chicken math?????

I cant wait! I have been dreaming of what my new little hatchlings will look like since I will be mixing my calico bantam roo with all of my normal sized ladies. I have a bunch of different breeds like a cream legbar, bielefelder, blue ameraucana, olive easter egger just to name a few. I will hatch them for a mid May hatch. Hopefully my little guy can do his job! He is younger than the full sized hens and mostly they chase him off and dont take him seriously so this idea may be unsuccessful!

What size adult chicken will you get?

I didn’t order any last year, but this year I decided to phase my flock over to all Orpingtons with maybe some Marans. I am sooo excited! I have Isabel English Orpingtons with some surprise color English Orpingtons shipping out mid March and then I have another order of 20 surprise English Orpingtons shipping out Early April.

Back
Top Bottom