Anyone have their Jaw Wired Shut?

Instead on ensure it carnation I would get a weight builder supplement if you can. You can use it to make a milkshake. That will give you enough calories vs. an ensure which isn't very calorie dense. I know Walmart has a weight builder supplement (in protein bar/diet bars section) or GNC would probably have a good selection.

I hope everything goes well!
smile.png

Bless his heart.

Several years ago my jaw was broken in 3 places and had to be wired shut. The only good thing about it was that I had braces at the time and they just ran the wire through the braces.
I ate lots of mashed potatoes and gravy from KFC and the blender was my best friend.
wink.png

Taz: Thanks... great ideas on there (can't believe how much google really has)

GeorgiaLee: So the protein powder and weight builder are different? Maybe weight builder is better... I will check that out.

LilliansMamaw: Thankfully Max does have braces on... so that is a plus... I am just hoping it will open up his breathing like it is supposed to.... Did you find any interesting recipes?

Thank for the
hugs.gif
.... I am going to need those again when he comes home and is running me ragged and on pain meds.

Last edited:
Flnatv,
I haven't read all the responses, but wanted to add my 2 cents.

I had my jaw wired shut for 8 weeks, many, many moons ago. By day two I was ready to accept anything my mom put in the blender - it was actually a vita-mix that my dad bought with my upcoming surgery in mind. Yep, second day home from the hospital I had roast beef, mashed potatoes and asparagus, all blended together and man oh man did it taste good!
droolin.gif

Let the boy get hungry enough and he'll eat blended meals, trust me.
wink.png

I'll be keeping him in my good thoughts for the upcoming surgery and a quick recovery.
fl.gif

I would also suggest something like Ensure or Boost...

DONT do what we did for my brother when he broke his jaw...
We blended up some steak (cooked) and mashed potatoes....(cause he was craving it)
Poor guy almost choked...all the fibers in the steak got caught in the wires and clogged up his mouth..he couldnt breath....
Baaad idea, that one..
roll.png

Hope your guy heals quickly..
hugs.gif

I make mango smoothies for my kids using canned sweetened mango from the Indian stores. Sweet, tasty and full of calories. I think with milk, yogurt or protein powder you would be getting some decent nutrition as well.

Okay!

Middle boy broke his jaw 12 years ago. He was 19 at the time.

First thing I am going to tell you------

His jaw will be wired shut, they will send you home with a set of fancy cutting pliers, these are to be used if you son has nausea and chokes on his own vomit.

DO NOT GO ANY WHERE WITH OUT THEM PLIERS!

Secondly, dietary supplements, health food store.

Thirdly, as delicately as I can state it, liquid in---- liquid out. You son may be having his jaw fixed, but I promise you by the end of the first week he ain't going to sneeze or cough either!

Aww, poor kid!
hugs.gif
High calorie foods/diets for those on chemo/rads will offer a lot of insight. Lots of healthy, tasty, shakes can be made at home that are much more appealing than the store bought ones....after a few of those, even the choco flavored one (the best tasting), they're pretty hard to get down routinely...although they're not too bad in coffee or a smoothy if he's a coffee drinker. I found that they really lack in calories & vitamins compared to what can be easily made at home.

Usually a dietitian's service is included as part of care if requested and they can be invaluable in balanced, delicious, appealing diets to keep the weight on when every swallow counts.

Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Back
Top Bottom