Anyone have their Jaw Wired Shut?

flnatv

Songster
8 Years
Apr 7, 2011
West Tennessee
My son is having jaw surgery on July 13 and I am trying to get helpful advice.
I have been reading up on everything possible, but need food advice!!!
He is 16yo, 6'4" and 230lb... I have to find a way to get enough calories in him to keep him going.
It is amazing how much he can eat and being on a completely liquid diet for 2 weeks is going to drain him.
I am prepared for weight loss, but what can I do to keep some of the weight on him?

The doctor has told me 2 days in the hospital and then 2 weeks wired shut.... swelling similar to wisdom teeth removal.

Anything further that we need to be prepared for?

Have you thought of using some of the liquid supplements like Boost, Ensure and Carnation Instant Breakfast? There are other brands out there as well. You can flavor them to his tastes and for variety. You can add some of the calorie and protein powders to liquids as well. And make soups with cream to boost the calories.

Imp

Pediasure or Ensure shakes may help. He probably wouldn't complain about fruit smoothies either. Mashed potatoes with sour cream blended with milk would have some serious calories too.
idunno.gif

I hope everything goes well for him.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
if you can afford it buy a good juicer, the kind that gathers the pulp for you so you can use it in baked goods and soups.

Learn to juice vegetables and fruits. also the various flavors of V8 juices help. Try to avoid anything super sugary since he won't be able to brush.

Also carnation instant breakfast and drinks like Gatorade recover have lots of liquid fiber and protein. the protein is very important. They also have lots of trace vitamins. The carnation instant breakfast usually has a decent amount of calories too since it is designed to replace breakfast.

Also try those diabetic shakes. They have a balance of protein and some sugars to help steady a diabetic's blood sugar. And diet shakes meant to replace meals. They are something else that will help him feel fuller.

Go high calorie with heavy cream chocolate milk, and things like mashed potatoes to eat, maybe put some cheese in them to add higher calories as well. He needs soft yet high calorie because he may not be able to stand to eat much due to soreness. Pack the calories in everything he takes in as much as possible.

Poor guy! Best wishes for speedy healing! All good advice and suggestions above, all I can add is hopes for a fast and comfortable recovery.

Thanks so far everyone...
smile.png

I have my shopping list started and number 1 is a good blender/juicer (the one I have now is very old).

I am diabetic and keep the glucerna around... so that is covered...

How much of the protein mix, etc is too much to be bad for him?
Thinking he won't get much fiber during this ordeal... any recommendations on fiber supplements?

So... my list
Gatorade
Ensure (or the like)
Carnation Instant Breakfast
Instant Mashed Taters (don't think I can get homemade smooth enough)
Protein Powder ( gotta research a good kind to use)
Broth and cream soups
Frozen fruits (have some from the garden already, but not enough)
V8
Ice Cream

OHHHH and I cannot forget a Bell... Maybe a pretty one with a chicken on it (just to bug him)

Wonder what pureed mac and cheese tastes like?
sickbyc.gif

Edited to add: I have always tried to LOSE weight not to pack it on... this is hard!!!! He can't have anything but pure liquid for 2 whole weeks.
ep.gif

Last edited:
I make Smoothies with Whey Protein and add yogurt as well. I use Fresh Fruit, such as bananas, mango. These fill me up and have tons of protein.

Back
Top Bottom