Anyone impatiently waiting for your baby chicks to arrive?!?!

So mine came this morning, I got them settled and then came in to work. 

Now I am worrying about them. Think they are ok?

The ones who survived the trip were all looking pretty fine when I left, and I saw most of them drink at some point, did all the beak dipping etc. Left the light pretty close but they have a big brooder box so they can get cool if they need too. And left food both in their feeder and just on the ground. 

I am just worrying about them.  So hard leaving little babies like that. SHould I try to leave work early? I commute so I can't just "run back and check."

Hard situation to be in. And no one gives family leave for chicks! I'd go home early if it's possible. Any neighbor close enough to check on them for you?

Hard situation to be in. And no one gives family leave for chicks! I'd go home early if it's possible. Any neighbor close enough to check on them for you?

No close neighbors really. My boss raises cattle and sheep so I think he would understand but I still feel kind of bad asking after I already came in 2.5 hours late in order to pick them up and get them set. Maybe I can work from home or something, we'll see.

I am picking my chicks up on Saturday we are getting 18 Austrolorps and 4 Polish. Can they go in the same brooder. I have heard that the Polish chicks are very small and you have to be careful of them drowning in the water. This is my first time with chicks. Rose
jumpy.gif

Can't wait till Wednesday when I get my cackle surprise so u went to tractor supply and bought these cuties to look at. 6- black pullets. Guessing black sex link and black australorp or black giant. 6- CX and 6- feather legged bantams and guessing they are Cochin. They are a soft gray with a red tint in the head.

I am picking my chicks up on Saturday we are getting 18 Austrolorps and 4 Polish. Can they go in the same brooder. I have heard that the Polish chicks are very small and you have to be careful of them drowning in the water. This is my first time with chicks. Rose
jumpy.gif
I would put some marbles or rocks in the water just as a precaution. I kept my bantams separate from the bigger chicks for about 3 days. But then I had ducks in the brooder with the bigger chicks, so I had to be careful about the tiny ones. =) I'm sure yours will be fine together. Watch them for about an hour and see if they peck at the bantams or what.
thumbsup.gif

You must be excited! =D

Can't wait till Wednesday when I get my cackle surprise so u went to tractor supply and bought these cuties to look at. 6- black pullets. Guessing black sex link and black australorp or black giant. 6- CX and 6- feather legged bantams and guessing they are Cochin. They are a soft gray with a red tint in the head.
I'm getting some cornish cross tomorrow from tractor supply too! How are yours doing? are you feeding the same feed to them as well? let me know how they do =D

Back
Top Bottom