Anyone in San Diego Country Estates interested in trying to change the HOA rule against keeping chic

sure. i wouldn't mind having a few chickens running around. they eat bugs like crazy and might even move out the squirrels. they would no doubt be peyed upon by the coyotes but what the hey, they aren't pets and there are plenty more where they came from if we do lose a few. the only drawback would be having a bunch of roosters crowing at all hours. i know, they only crow at dawn....BS . i have had roosters that i had to go out and whack because they crowed absolutely all night long. so if we keep the number of chickens to a minimum (enough to supply the family with enough eggs, not the neighborhood) and NO roosters, then i wouldn't mind at all. i do like the, if they get in my yard then they now belong to me, rule. .....and no f****** guineas !!

Last edited:
there was a board meeting the other night and I think they were going to discuss changing the rules for sdce regarding chickens. does anyone know what the outcome was.

there was a board meeting the other night and I think they were going to discuss changing the rules for sdce regarding chickens. does anyone know what the outcome was.
There really wasn't a definitive outcome. The board motioned to not vote. There was a big crowd if chicken people and several spoke in favor of allowing up to 4 laying hens on the horse side of estates. This was due to having heard the BOD was against the idea of roosters, more than four, or any birds on golf course side. Scott Brown opened the topic reminding the room that it takes 75% to change a rule in the CC&Rs, and our speakers in turn told him we didn't need to change a rule, it was already contained in the animal section of CC&Rs that on a case by case basis upon written request, the directors could determine if backyard laying hens were "pet birds" and agree to allow them. When the BOD decided not to vote, the chicken crowd was angry, and got up and left, leaving an almost empty room. It's obviously not over yet, and we did make headway, and the decision to not vote was very unusual and said a lot...

I attended and spoke in favor of chickens in the Estates. I interpreted from the BODs decision to not vote on whether my chickens are pets means that I get to make that decision in their absence. I told the board that I had chickens in the backyard and I am now awaiting the letter from the HOA declaring me in violation of the rule. However, I plan to argue that since the BOD did not determine that chickens are not pets, then mine are until the BOD makes a decision.

Funny that Mr. Piva brought up that having chickens would increase the amount of coyotes in the area. I thought his assertion was ridiculous since the Estates has many chickens in it, but he is just unaware. Also, the hundred or so free-range turkeys in the community have managed to survive and procreate despite the predators in the area.

The BOD is aware that I have chickens. I will keep you updated on my chicken drama if the HOA sends me a letter.

Hi! I was googling chickens in SDCE and found this thread. We are looking at houses out there and really want to move so we can have chickens and more land to garden. Has there been any movement with getting HOA changed? I understand some people already have chickens out there but curious to know what the repercussions from the HOA are if they do find out. Thanks!

I attended and spoke in favor of chickens in the Estates. I interpreted from the BODs decision to not vote on whether my chickens are pets means that I get to make that decision in their absence. I told the board that I had chickens in the backyard and I am now awaiting the letter from the HOA declaring me in violation of the rule. However, I plan to argue that since the BOD did not determine that chickens are not pets, then mine are until the BOD makes a decision.

Funny that Mr. Piva brought up that having chickens would increase the amount of coyotes in the area. I thought his assertion was ridiculous since the Estates has many chickens in it, but he is just unaware. Also, the hundred or so free-range turkeys in the community have managed to survive and procreate despite the predators in the area.

The BOD is aware that I have chickens. I will keep you updated on my chicken drama if the HOA sends me a letter.

Did you ever hear anything? I saw in the estates news paper, someone wrote an article about how beneficial chickens are and it was a well written article.

Have they been harassing you at all with their dumb notices?

My delaware has been taking it upon herself to sing the song of her people from brick podiums lately, so I'm partially waiting for a notice.
hmm.png

Hi! I was googling chickens in SDCE and found this thread. We are looking at houses out there and really want to move so we can have chickens and more land to garden. Has there been any movement with getting HOA changed? I understand some people already have chickens out there but curious to know what the repercussions from the HOA are if they do find out. Thanks!

I haven't seen anything yet. Basically, most of us have just spoken to our neighbors about it, as someone would have to complain about them for the HOA to know. The way the notices work is they send you a warning, usually with a date they will recheck and it just needs to be "fixed" by then. But I'm assuming this infraction works the same as front yard notices.
lol.png

But anyone who lives here knows someone with chickens. Heck, even the pest company we hire to spray around the house talk about their parents or family living here and having chickens anyways, and how stupid the HOA rule is.
gig.gif

I have not received any notices from the HOA. My neighbor bought some chickens and one was a rooster. She got a letter and got rid of the rooster. She has not received any additional letters. Also, I had some erosion measures taken in the open preserve behind our home and the gentleman commented on my chickens (just curious). I did not receive any notices. At this point, I believe that the HOA will act if a neighbor reports an incident, i.e. my neighbor had a complaint about her rooster. However, I ply my other neighbor with eggs monthly :)

Back
Top Bottom