Anyone making a Silver Laced Orpington?

Hi! I can tell you what I got in my crossing of silver laced to blue (should work the same with black).
1st generation chicks (solid male x silver laced hen): black females / black or black with leaky gold hackles, saddles males,
2nd generation (F1 male x silver laced hen): males with poor lacing / hatched no females,
3rd generation (F2 male x silver laced hen):
males with better lacing and still hatched no females.
... and before I could make the 4th generation cross the only silver laced Polish hen I had died
--- ending that project.

Good luck!
smile.png

Lisa

Quote:
I am a genetics dummy so it will definately be a see what happens kind of thing!! I don't know if you can expect some lacing the first generation or if has to be the next generation after that.

They are too pretty not to try and use some way other than just for eggs. I won't be using them in my SLW pen.

Quote:
I think you'll get all black in first generation, then if you cross the F1s you'll get a lot of different variations, some laced. It will be a "pick and breed" project
big_smile.png

It will be fun to see what happens. I should have started a project like this back in my youth....not now! I'm sure if it was an easy thing to accomplish someone with more knowledge than me would have gotten it figured out a long time ago already. I'm not an organized person so keeping detailed notes on this will be a challenge for me.

I would say use a black/blue/splash orp rooster on the SLW hens which should give mostly solid females and very poorly laced males. Mate a male back to the SLW which should give birds that have much better lacing but still not perfect. One more mating back to SLW or even siblings should give some with good lacing. The thing you have to watch is the leg color though but it will be reachable soon.

Back
Top Bottom