Anyone use Ivermectin Pour on on dogs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Thats great but I didnt ask what anyone thought about giving pour on to there dog. Im asking for input from someone who uses it and knows what the correct dosage is. Thanks

I do. My vet said many do, not as good as Heartguard (which has 2 ingredients) and also claimed that 20% of dogs on plain ivermectin still get heartworms. So I had one dog tested and dosed all three. No ill effects seen.

Dose is the same, really, for any animal. It's on the bottle, so many cc's for so many pounds.

Come on now this is the GREAT BYC I know someone on here can help me out with the correct dosage???????
big_smile.png

Ivermectin in dogs is not a simple answer - are you talking about controlling heartworm? Controlling ascaridal worms? Mites and lice? Mange?

The general dosage we use for heartworm control is to use the INJECTABLE (1%) given orally at one-tenth ml per 100 lb. One-TENTH. Some people will use one ml per 100 lb but that's waaaaaaay too high and will cause side effects in vulnerable dogs.

If you are using POUR-ON (.5%) for mites or mange, the dosage is one-tenth ml per kg, poured on the topline. So a 25-lb dog would get about one ml. This dosage should never be given to a sensitive breed and it, again, is way overkill for heartworm. It's for treating mites and generalized mange. This dose will also work pretty well on worms (intestinal) but it's kind of like hitting a nail with a bomb. You can control worms with much gentler medications and it's a good idea to do that if you can. Ivermectin is not a gentle medication and I'd always rather use a gut-only medication (pyrantel or fenbendazole) than something that's absorbed throughout the body.

Obviously, it's important not to mix up the two, since they are not the same strength.

If I can be preachy, it's not a good idea to overdose on ivermectin even if it doesn't kill the dog (or even hurt the dog in the short term). Ivermectin is linked with the later formation of autoimmune disease, and treating a dog with Cushings or polyarthritis makes treating worms look like a cakewalk. I would reserve the big doses of ivermectin ONLY for mites and bad mange, where the dog actually needs that strong a treatment and will be hurt more by the mange than by the ivermectin. I don't even treat the tiny puppy mange spots; they'll go away on their own just as fast as if you treat them.

But heartguard is ivermectin as well. Why is that safe but not the injectable given orally? Seems to me they are the same med in a different form. Maybe not as convenient and you have to be carefull, but why is there a difference?

Quote:
Heartgard is a very, very small dose of ivermectin. When you give the ivermectin injectable orally, in that one-tenth ml per 100 lb dose, that's the same (or just about the same) as giving Heartgard. That dose is safe even on vulnerable dogs.

What I see a lot is people shooting entire mls of ivomec (the injectable) down their dogs' throats "for worms" and similar. That's where it gets to be a really bad idea. Will it kill the worms, yes, but you're asking for reactions and bad stuff down the line.

I'm not particularly rabid about natural methods; my dogs and everything else around here get regular wormings, they get antibiotics, I am totally hey-hey for modern living through chemistry
smile.png
. But I try to minimize exposure to stuff that is proven to be a risk factor, and large doses of ivermectin are just that. Save them for the few generalized mange or mite infestations that genuinely need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom