Arapahoe County, Colorado

Hi All,
I live in Littleton, which is part of Arapahoe County. Myself and the neighbor behind me have chickens, and our neighbors love them! So far we haven't had any issues, and as far as I know the city is fine with them (certain rules, of course). I haven't had any issues, but if there's anything I can do to chime in or write a letter I'd be happy to be part of the movement. I really think everyone who wants chickens should be able to have them. I'll check back and I'll keep looking for ways to help. Good luck!!

If you don't mind me asking, how many chickens do you have on your property? Also, how big/small is you & your neighbors backyard and what type of coops do you have, how often do you keep up with care etc? I'm just curious to see what works for others who are thriving with hens already so i can also put this is my conversation with the council. Thanks in advance =)

Hi Pennoppom,

Thank you so much for offering to help! It would be great if you would be willing send an email to the commissioner expressing that you currently have chickens and that you haven't had any issues with them and your neighbors love them. You can send your email to all the Arapahoe county commissioners at [email protected]. Also, I have started a fb page if you would "like us" or post a comment to show your support. http://www.facebook.com/ArapahoeChickens

Thanks so much!
N

Hi Viselz,

We wanted to "play by the rules" so we don't currently have any chickens. In my request to change the laws, I asked the commissioners to allow us to have up to 4 hens, no roosters. If we can get the laws changed, we will have a coop and closed in run for our chickens, and will be cleaning it frequently to ensure all of our neighbors our happy. Us, along with most of our neighbors have a fairly large backyards, so we would have plenty of room for our coop and a large run. You can help show your support by sending an email to all the Arapahoe county commissioners at [email protected]. Or "like us" or post a comment to our facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/ArapahoeChickens.

Thanks!
N

Hi Pennoppom, & N~

Ill ask you as well, how many hens do you have on your property, any comments good or bad from anyone, size lots of u & neighbor and care and upkeep of the coops...if you don't mind :). I also live in Arapahoe county but I like "N" cannot have chickens. I believe it has come down to a ruling for each city within the counties to allow or not allow chickens, seeing that Littleton (arap county) allows them, & Aurora (arap County) does NOT...UNFORTUNATELY :(.
N~ I hope that calling and emailing the Arapahoe County Commissioners Office will make a difference and that the City of Aurora will also chime in and make a difference. I have started telling everyone I know about calling/emailing and also liking the Facebook page. Myself and my son has already liked it :). I hope we can all make our voices together heard, lets make it happen folks!

V~

Hey Y'all,
Sorry it took a minute to get back with you! I will absolutely like your FB page and write an email.

I have 4 hens, no roosters, on a lot that's about .35 acres. The most important thing about my situation is that I have really fantastic neighbors.

I started with 2 Polish hens, they are a little smaller, so beautiful and very quiet. After a year with my pullets I purchased 3 chicks, 2 of which were roos. My husband was pretty furious about the roos, but we got rid of them very quickly and our neighbors mostly laughed at the feeble baby cock-a-doodle doos. Then, my favorite baby died and I was back down to 2 Polish. I bought 2 buff orpingtons last fall and they are amazing layers. One of my BO's is currently setting on 10 fertilized eggs that I purchased through Murray McMurray. I specifically purchased crested breeds so that I'll be able to give the roos away before they crow.

The neighbor behind me has 3 girls (I think a leghorn, a RIR, and a SL), and her lot is just a bit smaller. Occasionally, her birds or my birds will talk pretty loudly and it can definitely be heard on the block, but they don't make any noise before 7am or so (partially because we don't let them out due to a lot of fox activity).

I'm not going to tell you that nobody thinks I'm a little crazy, but mostly people think it's pretty interesting and funny.

The most important thing is to be considerate.
Ask your neighbors before you buy them, this will show them that you are responsible and caring.
Place the coop somewhere that's away from neighbors bedroom, patio, etc.
Keep the coop clean and don't let it get smelly. If your coop is large enough and you have room to let them roam there shouldn't be any issue.
Be generous with your eggs! Neighbors love fresh, delicious treats!

Good luck!

Hey Y'all,
Sorry it took a minute to get back with you! I will absolutely like your FB page and write an email.

I have 4 hens, no roosters, on a lot that's about .35 acres. The most important thing about my situation is that I have really fantastic neighbors.

I started with 2 Polish hens, they are a little smaller, so beautiful and very quiet. After a year with my pullets I purchased 3 chicks, 2 of which were roos. My husband was pretty furious about the roos, but we got rid of them very quickly and our neighbors mostly laughed at the feeble baby cock-a-doodle doos. Then, my favorite baby died and I was back down to 2 Polish. I bought 2 buff orpingtons last fall and they are amazing layers. One of my BO's is currently setting on 10 fertilized eggs that I purchased through Murray McMurray. I specifically purchased crested breeds so that I'll be able to give the roos away before they crow.

The neighbor behind me has 3 girls (I think a leghorn, a RIR, and a SL), and her lot is just a bit smaller. Occasionally, her birds or my birds will talk pretty loudly and it can definitely be heard on the block, but they don't make any noise before 7am or so (partially because we don't let them out due to a lot of fox activity).

I'm not going to tell you that nobody thinks I'm a little crazy, but mostly people think it's pretty interesting and funny.

The most important thing is to be considerate.
Ask your neighbors before you buy them, this will show them that you are responsible and caring.
Place the coop somewhere that's away from neighbors bedroom, patio, etc.
Keep the coop clean and don't let it get smelly. If your coop is large enough and you have room to let them roam there shouldn't be any issue.
Be generous with your eggs! Neighbors love fresh, delicious treats!

Good luck!
That's all great to hear, thanks so much for your reply. Having chicken owners who are knowledgeable and truthful in the subject matter helps in many regards! You seem to love your feathered friends and I hope one day I can own some too, for now I'll live vicariously through all of you ;) Thanks V~

I think we should argue for more than 4. Denver can have 8 and two pygmy or dwarf breed goats (and 2 bee hives). Littleton has 4 and then recently tried to get more and were denied. Jefferson county just approved 6. In my opinion we should start with 8 in hopes of getting 6-8. I don't know what Douglas County has but I will call today and see if I can find out.

I've outreached to everyone I know in Arapahoe County including businesses I know will support. I'm hoping the 4H extension office will support too because I know they are trying to grow the Arapahoe County Fair since it just recently got started again. Seems like allowing backyard chickens might be one good way to get more kids involved.

Anyway, you know I'm on board and will keep my ears and eyes open. We can do this!

aurora is also going towards our city council soon in hopes of owning 8 hens and no roosters. Maybe 8 is a good number to ask for seems like a good start! if you live in the city Aurora & would like to support us as well you can search us here on the forum and check out Clea's blog as well. Thanks for any support you can give (most city of Aurora is Arap county) scratch our back will scratch yours haha ;)

Back
Top Bottom