Araucana thread anyone?

they are some beautiful birds. I didn't realize that he British Auracana had crests or is that just an Aussie trait? A closeup of their combs would help. I am unfamiliar what the natural tail carriage of the breed is. In some breeds their tails would indicate a rooster but in others hens carry their tails high too. I think I can see the beginning of sickle feathers which would indicate a roo.

I have just one Aussie bred Araucana, Mindy - white with a lot of peach or salmon colouring on her feathers. She has a lovely beard ( or ruff ), a high crest, one only tuft - ( when she regrew her feathers after moulting, she forgot about the left tuft !! ) ... a pea comb, and an upright tail. The tufts however, are very much smaller than the American Araucana displays which are stunning, but they are there - like little blobs of feathers on each side of the face. She is a medium sized chicken - not bantam, and not large. Lays about a 600 gram egg.

She crows like a rooster but softer than a roo does, especially before laying ??? and lays me a lovely blue or olive green egg, at least 6 days out of 7. Occasionally I get 7 in the week. I must say, that my little Mindy, does have a couple of curved feathers in her tail and her topmost feather is also slightly curved. But I agree - I think the pics shown by Mumabokbok of the two whites are more than likely roosters.

British and Aussie Araucana's are very similar, but come from the same Chilean origins.

Cheers .......... AB

Are they easy to find and purchess in Australia I so want a feww and cant find any at all
I can make a couple of enquiries for you .... but can't promise anything at this moment. Will get back to you, IF I can find a breeder - and IF he has some incubating Araucana's now or in the near future. Gumtree is a good place to look, but be careful if buying eggs. AND, where are you in Australia ?.... if Victoria, it would be a lot easier.

Cheers .......... AB

I can make a couple of enquiries for you .... but can't promise anything at this moment.    Will get back to you, IF I can find a breeder - and IF he has some incubating Araucana's now or in the near future.   Gumtree is a good place to look, but be careful if buying eggs.  AND, where are you in Australia ?.... if Victoria, it would be a lot easier.    

Cheers .......... AB 

thx ab im in cairns in Qld that woulb be great have no incubator 4 eggs but soon will be thinking about getting one worrie if get eggs on gumtree they will be in fertile

thx ab im in cairns in Qld that woulb be great have no incubator 4 eggs but soon will be thinking about getting one worrie if get eggs on gumtree they will be in fertile

Hi animal madd - - made an enquiry of the person who breeds / hatches Araucana's and he is not at all into shipping eggs interstate.
Waaay too risky in his opinion, for purchaser AND seller. Sorry about that - besides which he has nothing on offer at present anyway.

I have heard that you have to be careful ordering eggs etc. from Gumtree. Like anything I guess, one has to be careful about who they are dealing with, especially on the Internet.

I do hope you can find someone with Araucana's soon. Might have to wait until next year, after the chooks have done their thing with moulting ( some are doing that down here in Victoria - guess it might be the insane weather we have had ) or whatever else they dream up .... or when, anywhere in Australia, they get back to laying properly. It's my experience that chooks do exactly what they want, when they want - but I must admit that the only chicken I have had who was 'text book' is my little Araucana cheeky brat - who stopped laying in May, moulted hard, grew her feathers back, and began to lay again in Spring. But that's my Mindy. Have another friend who has 6 Araucanas' ( no rooster ) .... and they have just gone into a hard moult - in late Spring ?????
th.gif
Chickens tend to have this effect - LOL.

My Welsummer hen has managed to finish the slowest of moults - and is regrowing her feathers ( after 6 months ? ) .... she laid right through the winter, continually soft moulting, and finally gave up laying eggs when her feathers began to come back in. She is currently making a lot of noise and happily squatting when anyone or anything goes near her, but no eggs - as yet. I expect her to lay soon ( maybe !! ).

Good luck in your search for this lovely breed.

Cheers ........... AB

Back
Top Bottom