Araucana thread anyone?

there are ameraucanas in greece. I saw a beautiful black pullet but she was not for sale.

these are my araucana/ameraucana mix (both rumpless and bearded):

these are araucanas, 1 hen and 1 roo, rumpless and clear faced:

this is my young trio, fernando and sweetie are rumpless and tufted and dulcie is tufted but she has a tail. they all came from a rumpless flock:

here is the pullet that is supposed to be araucana/ameraucana mix (with big wattles):

she came from the same place I got the other mixes (the first pics). I want to use her for olive eggers but I am not sure if she is pure green/blue egger. 2 of my hens lay greenish blue eggs.
That bird has no Araucana or Ameraucana in her. She's got a rose comb. She's a mixed breed. And the Ameraucana you have are actually European standard Araucana.

That bird has no Araucana or Ameraucana in her. She's got a rose comb. She's a mixed breed. And the Ameraucana you have are actually European standard Araucana.

I don't have pure ameraucana. as both ameraucanas and araucanas in greece are called green eggers most of people don't know they are 2 different breeds and they keep them together. I got 2 of them from such place. the araucanas, both clear faced and tufted came from the breeder who keeps araucanas and ameraucanas separately.

so I will wait for the mystery chicken to start laying and see. she will go to my laying flock. I will use the tufted araucana with a tail for olive eggers.

You have Araucana. European Araucana. Both the rumpless and the tailed varieties are both called Araucana under the European standard. There is no separate 'Ameraucana' distinction made.

the breeder that keeps these 2 breeds separately has ameraucanas that look like this one:

this photo is from internet. his araucanas are all rumpless, some clear faced and some tufted. there is no standard for araucanas in greece. both breeds have been imported recently and most of them mixed. there are very few breeders in greece that know araucanas and ameraucanas are not the same.

No country in Europe has Ameraucana. It's specifically a North American breed. The European standard incorporates both american Araucana and Ameraucana types into the standard for Araucana. There are subtle differences, but both types would fall into the Araucana label.

In this book you can find the all story of the Aracaouna and other breeds!

What varieties are people working on? Is there a color or pattern that's more popular with breeders? Does anybody have a project going on? Just curious.... I came from Salmon Faverolles, just trying to get a feel for what people are doing with this breed....

Other than the standard BBR and Silver Duckwing, I'd like to have/or make Red Pyle, and Crele.... I just discovered somebody with a very nice, double tufted, Partridge hen.

I don't know squat about chicken genetics, so it'll be a little while before I can get my mind wrapped around it - if that's possible for my feeble mind!
lol.png

Last edited:
I am not on this thread much - bigger following on facebook now. I am working on LF Black and LF Blues (project color), and bantam whites.

We have a lot breeders working on LF Black, couple LF whites, couple bantam whites and bantam blacks.
Duckwings and BBR are harder to get the color correct but we have few breeders working on them. We don't have partridge in Araucana but it would be a cool project for someone.

Projects we have are LF cuckoo, LF Blue/Splash and LF/Bantam Mottled. There are a couple Red Pyles out there...most likely popped out of white stock. Some breeders have mixed colors and are getting all sorts of colored offspring, so be careful with that.

Solids would be easier to work on...but this breed is hard to work with all around. Lethal gene, leg color, pea combs, wattles, head size.. I can go on..its like most other breeds. Just finding the SOP on this breed is few and far between.

Back
Top Bottom