Are males easier to sex then females?

White Rabbit

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2016
Laredo, Texas
I ordered ten pullets that came with ten packing peanuts. So far one is definitely a rooster, already softly crowing at six weeks. The other looks very muck like one. My question is are packing peanuts likely to be the same 90 percent determination rate? Meaning some might be pullets. Also is the rooster first picture a brown leghorn or a welsummer, or to early to tell? Thanks

The first one I'm guessing is an Easter Egger, and does appear to be a cockerel. The other one looks like it possibly is too (I think I see it has a muff). EEs aren't usually so easy to sex as the top one, but there are things you can look out for. Check out the EE sexing tips and tricks thread to help you out.

Thanks I ordered one white leghorn, one California white one brown leghorn two barred rocks one maran one welsummer and THREE EE as I wanted greenish eggs. But Ill be a little disappointed if one of the three are are a hen.

Did they send EE packing peanuts or something else? The first is definitely an EE cockerel, and the second looks like one as well.

No the peanuts are silver laced. 

If the peanuts are silver laced then it looks like you posted pics of your EEs instead of them? Do you have pics of the peanuts? They do tend to be male sex links, but could be extra males of other breeds. If they are sex links then they'd be guaranteed males, and maybe what you're seeing is barring and not lacing.

Yep, I'd definitely be calling them silver laced. Bottom one appears to be a wyandotte cockerel. I'm not sure of the top, does it have feathered legs? Could be a silver laced cochin with the single comb. Or maybe a poorly bred wyandotte.

The birds in the first two photos you posted are Easter Eggers, with one of them being a definite cockerel and the other being a probable pullet. Both birds in the second set of photos are Silver Laced Wyandotte cockerels (unless the one with the single comb has feathered legs, in which case it is a Silver Laced Cochin). Assuming both silver laced birds are Wyandottes, the different comb type is relatively normal. Wyandottes are supposed to have rose combs, but even in well-bred lines, birds with single combs can randomly pop up.

With regards to whether males or females are easier to vent sex - the answer is not really as both can have some somewhat ambiguous or confusing configuration of the genitalia - this image demonstrates why vent sexing is more of an art of interpretation (and luck) than black and white "male/female"

Back
Top Bottom