Are my egg prices reasonable?

I wouldn't price gouge just because the corporations are, but that's a matter of principle.
Likewise, I don't ask as much for hatching eggs because I think they should be accessible. Yet they still need to offset some of our expenses. So, it's a balancing act. Do what seems best to you.
We had to stop selling eating eggs because our neighbors were asking for more free eggs every time we had availability, then redistributing to their friends. Argh.

I sell a carton of eggs for $5 right now. They used to be $3 but egg prices have been raised, and i always put my price at least 1-2 dollars higher than store-bought eggs. My chickens are free range, and healthy. My cartons of eggs include brown, tan, white, green, blue, and pink-ish eggs. I also only use the egg money to buy chicken food and treats. Is this reasonable? Ill lower the prices when stores go down.
Like others have said, it depends on your location. It also depends on how your birds are kept and what you feed them. People will pay way more for eggs that come from birds that fed whole grains, meat/bugs/worms, and non GMO feed. All that said, you can charge whatever you want. I live just outside of Phoenix and people in my area sell farm eggs for $6/dozen in Facebook groups and sell out immediately! I also only charged $3/dozen and just raised my prices. I bought egg cartons with a flat top so I could stamp them and then custom made a stamp and egg washing/storage instruction cards with our logo. We aren't a business by any means, but this is a fun hobby for me!

I charge $6/doz for the first order, then $5/doz for each order after that IF you bring back my carton. I don't try to keep up with grocery store prices, but people were just shy of banging on my steel gate for eggs before I raised prices. They are still begging for eggs, but it's MUCH more manageable now and it helps *almost* offset the cost of the feed I buy for my flock!

For my area, you're reasonable! :)

We actually do a sliding scale and sell to neighbors. I get $4.50 to $6.25, but my declared price is $5.50, and we feed OG and pasture ours.

I probably could get higher, but I agree that feeding people is more important to me.

Back
Top Bottom