Are these Icelandics?

SweetHeidi

Chirping
May 6, 2021
1. Where did you get the birds?
From a supposed breeder. They were supposed to be young chicks when we picked them up but they were much older.

2. Are they from a feed store, hatchery, or breeder?
Breeder or egg hatchery really

3. If you bought them from a hatchery, which breeds did you select?
Supposed to be icelandic

4. If they came from a breeder, what were they supposed to be, and what other breeds/varieties did the seller have?
They only had icelandics supposedly, emu, turkeys, guineas and peacocks.

These were sold to me as Icelandic birds but I'm not 100% sure they are pure bred or anything. After getting them I've found that they are infested with worms. Mites have been iradicated by me. They were in poor health and one pullet has a deformed foot.

20220730_183130.jpg
20220730_182206.jpg
20220730_182759.jpg

The thing with Icelandic is they don't have a standard, so they are a wide variety of colours, crested and not crested, and have a variety of comb types....they could be Icelandics🤷🏽‍♀️

Usually, but not always, a breeder will tell the buyer what line of Icelandics they sell, because there are a few. Basically it is a matter of trust with this race of chickens because there is no standard and no practical way to prove they are pure. But Icelandics do often have the small crests and the build of your birds looks right. So really you have to decide for yourself if you trust what the breeder said or not.

Back
Top Bottom