Arizona Chickens

Interesting way to treat bumblefoot. Glad it worked on most of them. I wonder why the cockerels didn't clear up? :lau Looks like a great plan! When do you get started or have you?
Sill, I think I've got my list together, but my greatest concern is how to transport all that lumber on my little 4-cylinder truck. With the tailgate down, the length is about 8 feet, but I want 8-ft, 10-ft and 12-ft pieces. How does one keep all that wood from sliding off, creating havoc for any following vehicles? They could probably strap them into bundles to keep the weight concentrated. Lowes charges $79.00 for delivery, and I didn't ask whether they just dump it in my driveway, or carry along side of the house to deposit in the back yard. I barely weigh 130 pounds on a good day, maybe more if I'm constipated...LOL! I live in an HOA with barely 12 feet between houses, with only a small side gate into the back yard which is completely walled in. I wanted to build my little side patio deck first with my first order of lumber, take a break for a week or two for recovery (LOL), then start the run with the second order. If I go the Lowes delivery route, I might as well buy all the lumber for both projects now and avoid two delivery charges. On a side note, my 3-dimentional drawings are in "Perspective". I remember taking an art class in 8th grade back in 1968 with a fun art teacher. She was a tall, straight-haired blonde (hippie?), and loved playing her pristine Led Zepplin LP's and the like on one of those heavy-tracking classroom record players. See below. You simply choose your angle, but the main edges had to be perpendicular. That's how you get your view from different angles, right, left, above, below, angled/direct front and/or behind. It's actually fun. You can see the angle of the record player, but the corner edges are straight up. That is my art lesson for the day. --BB Bobby Basham Tucson, Arizona If we were closer we would give you a ride. Our teenagers can do the lifting.. Guess we will have to make a trip there.. Let's get you going.. However, you have plenty of friends that could help.. All you have to do is ask.. You know how good it feels to help. Let someone else give to you..

What is wrong with people?  How does someone think that's O.K. to do?  :barnie   I'm so glad you found a home for him though.

The worse thing about it is my neighbor said there were a couple kids in the car. Children learn by example so they'll think it's perfectly okay to dump unwanted pets onto others. The downside of living in what used to be a rural area.
On another note, sadly, yet someone else is selling treadle feeders at the feed stores. At least at the Pet Club in Queen Creek. Smaller than the one made in China, painted red and I think they are priced at $35.

I tried last year with no luck bringing them in on my own. They say they like coffee grounds so I stopped and got a whole bucket full from Starbucks. I was just about to get some BSF when I moved. I'm wanting to do them here as well as Mealworms and maybe compost worms that double as fishing worms.
1f60a.png

Im hoping I can get a good colony going I want them for three reasons 1 to get rid of the house flys on my property, 2 to feed my chickens, 3 to speed up the process in my compost pile. I dont use worms to fish I am a fly fisherman ;)

Sill,

I think I've got my list together, but my greatest concern is how to transport all that lumber on my little 4-cylinder truck.  With the tailgate down, the length is about 8 feet, but I want 8-ft, 10-ft and 12-ft pieces.  How does one keep all that wood from sliding off, creating havoc for any following vehicles? They could probably strap them into bundles to keep the weight concentrated. Lowes charges $79.00 for delivery, and I didn't ask whether they just dump it in my driveway, or carry along side of the house to deposit in the back yard.

I barely weigh 130 pounds on a good day, maybe more if I'm constipated...LOL! I live in an HOA with barely 12 feet between houses, with only a small side gate into the back yard which is completely walled in.

I wanted to build my little side patio deck first with my first order of lumber, take a break for a week or two for recovery (LOL), then start the run with the second order.  If I go the Lowes delivery route, I might as well buy all the lumber for both projects now and avoid two delivery charges.

My husband is a general contractor so I can share some tips, and lessons, from my years of watching people haul lumber WRONG.

First, don't try hauling your lumber with the tailgate up. The weight of the lumber Will bend your tailgate to where it will no longer open or close. (Personal experience, lol) don't pile it up on your cab either, unless you want to dent the top. Can't tell you how many times I've watched both of these happen.

Second, if your truck is too small, don't try to haul it all in one load.

Third, you can get Home Depot or lowes to cut your 12' boards down to a manageable size.

Fourth, both stores have shrink wrap available in the loading zone (sometimes hidden away so ask for it) and it's free to use, so wrap the holy you know what out of your neatly stacked lumber so one board cannot move without taking the whole bundle. Then buy a wrenching strap and strap that bundle down in your bed as snug as you can get. Be sure to have them staple a red flag at the end of the longest lumber so no one runs into it and sues you.

Fifth, If none of this works, and you have a hitch n ball on your truck, you might be able to rent one of their flatbed trailers for less than the delivery fees, and then you can get the full length boards too.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I heard a strange crowing coming from the west pasture a little bit ago, didn't sound like any of the Orps or the Marans. Went out there and found a little black bantam rooster. My lavender Orp rooster eyed him the same time I did but he's faster than I am, I grabbed a rake, broke up the fight before the little guy could get killed, scooped him up and hightailed it to the gate. Went out the front, saw one of my neighbors down the road and asked her if she knew who the rooster belonged to and she told me she saw a car drive up to my place and stop and look over my fence. She thought they were looking at my chickens and didn't think anything of it. My place is cross fenced for the different breeds but you can see most of them from the street but the neighbor thought the woman threw something over the fence, after they drove off she checked out my pasture and didn't see any garbage or anything out of sorts, just the chickens and grass. She didn't notice the little guy, he must have run under a tree or bush after being tossed. So now I know where all these wayward roosters are coming from - the housing developments over on the Gilbert side where they are allowed 2 hens and no roosters, that's my guess anyway. One of my other neighbors took the little guy as a pet for his granddaughter, the little guy seems very tame so must have been handled a lot. I didn't want him anywhere near my Orp hens nor did my rooster!

I've had people drop cats and dogs out here in the country, but chickens? That is not only cruel to do to their chicken, (place a Craig's list ad if nothing else) but what about the potential damage to the chicken keepers flock when introducing diseases that your chickens haven't been exposed to before! There is no cure for stupid!

I heard a strange crowing coming from the west pasture a little bit ago, didn't sound like any of the Orps or the Marans. Went out there and found a little black bantam rooster. My lavender Orp rooster eyed him the same time I did but he's faster than I am, I grabbed a rake, broke up the fight before the little guy could get killed, scooped him up and hightailed it to the gate. Went out the front, saw one of my neighbors down the road and asked her if she knew who the rooster belonged to and she told me she saw a car drive up to my place and stop and look over my fence. She thought they were looking at my chickens and didn't think anything of it. My place is cross fenced for the different breeds but you can see most of them from the street but the neighbor thought the woman threw something over the fence, after they drove off she checked out my pasture and didn't see any garbage or anything out of sorts, just the chickens and grass. She didn't notice the little guy, he must have run under a tree or bush after being tossed. So now I know where all these wayward roosters are coming from - the housing developments over on the Gilbert side where they are allowed 2 hens and no roosters, that's my guess anyway. One of my other neighbors took the little guy as a pet for his granddaughter, the little guy seems very tame so must have been handled a lot. I didn't want him anywhere near my Orp hens nor did my rooster!

What is wrong with people?  How does someone think that's O.K. to do?  :barnie   I'm so glad you found a home for him though.

I must say, we ended up with Austrailian heeler in our back yard.. I think, that they think, it is better than taking the animal to the pound, certain death.. We had a neighbor that had over 50 outdoor wild cats.. We ended up with 5. Took 3 to a farm.. The other two are sisters.. One we can hold. They both had their left tip of their ear clipped.. So at least that was done.. I think people just get so desperate and just pass them to someone else.. The pound charges, people don't have friends, or $.. Blablabla.. Who knows really, that is why so many of now a days we all have more than 2-3 animals..
With THIS said, anyone out there that might need a animal clipped, please do us all a favor and get that problem taken care of.. If you want a kitten or puppy, go to the pound & adopt..:woot
Especialy if you have a outdoor male cat. He will populate your block fast. Then you schould be responsible for the off spring, AND CLEANING UP ALL OF THE POOP!!!!! So plan on going door to door, yard to yard. And start raking it up.. It is nasty cr&p. It stinks, they get heathy cats that are pets sick, and feral cats are not pets.. You can't hold them, check to see if they are healthily.. We have a neighbor that has at least 50-70 piles of poop.. You walk by and gag...they spray, should I keep n going!! They are not PETS.. They are a wild animal.. Get them fixed.. Please.. From us animal lovers..

The little chick in the photo did not make it.. :hit

The other one is barly hanging in there.. I still have not had time to find out how this happens..

So, I drove to my friends house during lunch break to get some chicks for both broody's. Hope the jungle fowl will accept them. I put two rooster babies under her..

:hugs sry you lost one.

:lau  funny you dont even know what you have. GOOD LUCK!!!

She dd use the words " really good blood lines" in one breed. Honestly I don't care, they are here if they lay pretty eggs & are not mean to the others.. we have given so many away this year because of all the broody.. Hand raising is better, but some of the moma's won't let us get close once they leave the nest, so i out at night & take them from her then give them love. Now, I must say "pretty" the larger one, is now use to me going out & getting under her to see the eggs.. I will post what breeds as soon as she gets the breeds to me..

Oh Kay here is what we have..isbar, wheaten americanas from Jordans best show Birds
,bielefelders:frow
Also, two of the eggs are pippin.. they are from our same friend.
Then we got 3 eggs to put under "tiny" the other jungle fowl.. They are French bresse blue or splash from Greenfire farms.. I am going to have to look this one up. Sound so pretty.. So thankful for them

I must say, we ended up with Austrailian heeler in our back yard.. I think, that they think, it is better than taking the animal to the pound, certain death.. We had a neighbor that had over 50 outdoor wild cats.. We ended up with 5. Took 3 to a farm.. The other two are sisters.. One we can hold. They both had their left tip of their ear clipped.. So at least that was done.. I think people just get so desperate and just pass them to someone else.. The pound charges, people don't have friends, or $.. Blablabla.. Who knows really, that is why so many of now a days we all have more than 2-3 animals..
With THIS said, anyone out there that might need a animal clipped, please do us all a favor and get that problem taken care of.. If you want a kitten or puppy, go to the pound & adopt..
woot.gif

Especialy if you have a outdoor male cat. He will populate your block fast. Then you schould be responsible for the off spring, AND CLEANING UP ALL OF THE POOP!!!!! So plan on going door to door, yard to yard. And start raking it up.. It is nasty cr&p. It stinks, they get heathy cats that are pets sick, and feral cats are not pets.. You can't hold them, check to see if they are healthily.. We have a neighbor that has at least 50-70 piles of poop.. You walk by and gag...they spray, should I keep n going!! They are not PETS.. They are a wild animal.. Get them fixed.. Please.. From us animal lovers..

We have a feral cat that I want spayed. We enjoy having her here and she's good with the chickens and keeps the pests down - except those crazy ground squirrels! Not sure anybody can control those little critters. I am not able to pay for a spay at this time because of high hospital bills. Where can I get help for this? Ideas. Also I live in the Casa Grande area so not everything is available to me that is in the valley cities. AND last one question. If I do the trapping will she leave because she is angry at me?? I don't want that to happen. BUT I would really like her spayed before another heat hits us again. Thanks......

Heyas. Doing my monthly check in. I've been crazy busy with my art and crafting costumes for a convention so I haven't had much time online. My littles are a bit over 4 months now. They're all doing great. They're starting to warm up to the older girls now too. They stay segregated most of the time but if I throw out some scratch they all come together.

Back
Top Bottom