Arizona Chickens

Alrighty thanks! That's what my friend said. She's had
This looks just fine!  You'll need something different soon though.  Those little bundles can jump like a frog and will be out of the box!!  The light looks okay too.  I have a really large storage box (the kind you can put a lid on) and use that for the first maybe 3 weeks and then put them in a baby playpen (I got for $5.00 at a swap meet) until I put them outside.  I could easily start them out in the playpen though.  Oh and I don't know about the silkie jumping as a sign of a rooster......never heard that before.  Enjoy them!!

Alrighty! My friends said the same thing, she's had chickens for 6 years. Also it's fine for my to hold them as much as I do right? I'll put my hand in and if any of them come up to me I'll pick it up and hold it for a few minutes and then put it back. They don't seem stressed or anything and will actually come jump up on my hand but my dad thinks I'm handling them too much.
1f612.png
1f602.png

Alrighty thanks! That's what my friend said. She's had
Alrighty! My friends said the same thing, she's had chickens for 6 years. Also it's fine for my to hold them as much as I do right? I'll put my hand in and if any of them come up to me I'll pick it up and hold it for a few minutes and then put it back. They don't seem stressed or anything and will actually come jump up on my hand but my dad thinks I'm handling them too much.
1f612.png
1f602.png

You're not handling them too much. It will only make your chicken experience that much better IMO. It's easier to do check ups for health reasons, and easy to move when you need them somewhere else.

I adopted a couple hens back when I had chickens and one of them jumped the fence to get away from me and we were living in a city setting. The neighbors had 3 Pit Bulls that immediately pounced on the hen and took her around the corner. The neighbor came out at my yelling and went around the corner, came back with my hen. Couldn't believe it. Lucky with not a scratch on her.

Just be warned though, if they get too tame and human friendly you may wind up with a chicken that learns how to use the doggy door into the house and perch herself on the kitchen counter.

Can't wait to get some chicks again. Only a couple weeks now.

You're not handling them too much. It will only make your chicken experience that much better IMO. It's easier to do check ups for health reasons, and easy to move when you need them somewhere else.

I adopted a couple hens back when I had chickens and one of them jumped the fence to get away from me and we were living in a city setting. The neighbors had 3 Pit Bulls that immediately pounced on the hen and took her around the corner. The neighbor came out at my yelling and went around the corner, came back with my hen. Couldn't believe it. Lucky with not a scratch on her.

Just be warned though, if they get too tame and human friendly you may wind up with a chicken that learns how to use the doggy door into the house and perch herself on the kitchen counter.

Ok. I'm happy to hear you chicken was ok! I'm actually a big supporter of pitbulls and think they're great so I'm happy to hear they didn't kill her. Even though they can be aggressive towards other animals. But this isn't a pitbull thread xD I can't wait to see where my chicken experience will take me!

Ok. I'm happy to hear you chicken was ok! I'm actually a big supporter of pitbulls and think they're great so I'm happy to hear they didn't kill her. Even though they can be aggressive towards other animals. But this isn't a pitbull thread xD I can't wait to see where my chicken experience will take me!

@Lamaremybabies
FYI I think one of the best things about this thread is that there are no boundaries as far as what can be posted and discussed. At worst people will just pass it by and you'll never get anyone that answers your questions.

Well I was going to upload a photo of my PB but it's acting funny. Anybody with an iPhone that uses the app have any trouble?
Whenever I push the button for "Upload Photo" it doesn't really appear to be pushed (if that makes sense) ? Normally this would be the point where it would access my photos
But it just never goes there? Anyone have any ideas?

I
@Lamaremybabies
FYI I think one of the best things about this thread is that there are no boundaries as far as what can be posted and discussed. At worst people will just pass it by and you'll never get anyone that answers your questions.

Well I was going to upload a photo of my PB but it's acting funny. Anybody with an iPhone that uses the app have any trouble?
Whenever I push the button for "Upload Photo" it doesn't really appear to be pushed (if that makes sense) ? Normally this would be the point where it would access my photos
But it just never goes there? Anyone have any ideas?

Yeah. One of the things I love about BYC is that everyone is so nice and seem to love to discuss anything. I suppose I just feel like I might push some buttons if I'm not on topic with the thread. But you're right the worst thing is people over look it.
Also I don't have an iPhone but I do use my iPod and I can't say that I've ever had that issue with uploading pictures from it. However it may be an issue with you phone or maybe it's just not reading you may want to close the pages you have open in safari or whatever browser you use on your phone or just press the button and wait a minute or two to see if maybe it's just lagging.

Chicken stories are great.. Thanks Dave , you have always made us laugh.. We miss you on here.. Let us know when you & DW are in Tempe, or plan a evening.. We will have tea in the garden and marshmallows by the bonfire.. Soon...:frow

Chicken stories are great.. Thanks Dave , you have always made us laugh.. We miss you on here.. Let us know when you & DW are in Tempe, or plan a evening.. We will have tea in the garden and marshmallows by the bonfire.. Soon...:frow

Thanks Dephane. Miss you guys too.

Speaking of funny...

Knock Knock!

@Lamaremybabies
You should try to handle them as much as possible. They will be happier when you are around and not run when you need to pick them up! And like Dave said - there are always those who are even more cheeky and think they should be a house chicken!! I haven't had them come in our doggie door - yet - but they can run like the wind when the door gets opened!! My DH's Queenie has been the craziest chicken we've ever raised - she even prefers the dog bed on the porch to a nest! Or a chair with a shirt on it as long as she's near my DH!!

@City farm
Found Ranger! He was indeed where I thought he was with the farmer who had built the pen with a top on it about 3 stories high!! He has a place to get out of the weather - raised water and feeding platforms and he has three girls too. He came to see me looking for his treat - he remembered
love.gif
or maybe my pocket smelled like a banana!! I was very pleased and the farmer was relieved.
thumbsup.gif
All is well in Ranger's world.

Back
Top Bottom