Arizona Chickens

As of today, 16 Naked Necks have now hatched and are doing really well. I've got nearly every color combination. At least two of them have puffy chicks, at least one has a beard, and one has feathered shanks. I still have to upload photos, but overall I'm really happy with this hatch.
smile.png

EDIT; Oh! And I got my firts Dorking pullet egg today!
wee.gif
I've no idea which girl it was since she laid it in the middle of the run, but nearly all of them are squatting as soon as I reach or move towards them, so I expect to be getting more little white eggs very soon.
big_smile.png

It will be interesting to see the combinations of what yu have come up with in the NN's, and to also see some pics of your Dorking's, too!

Edit: I could use a broody right now, as I do have fertile eggs. Mine aren't broody, and I'm giving my incubator a rest.

Last edited:
As of today, 16 Naked Necks have now hatched and are doing really well. I've got nearly every color combination. At least two of them have puffy chicks, at least one has a beard, and one has feathered shanks. I still have to upload photos, but overall I'm really happy with this hatch. 
:)  

EDIT; Oh! And I got my firts Dorking pullet egg today! :weee  I've no idea which girl it was since she laid it in the middle of the run, but nearly all of them are squatting as soon as I reach or move towards them, so I expect to be getting more little white eggs very soon. :D

:weee

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see the combinations of what yu have come up with in the NN's, and to also see some pics of your Dorking's, too!

Edit: I could use a broody right now, as I do have fertile eggs. Mine aren't broody, and I'm giving my incubator a rest.

Ugh! Timing is everything. I had a VERY broody hen a month ago, but none are broody right now. I've got two Naked Necks, two White Rocks, one Silkie, and two Dorking mixes that typically all go broody at the same time.

congrats n welcome to the valley, chickerdoodle!

i'm not too far,, glendale.
i got the BEST piece of advice when i moved out here in the 80's. i loved to hike, and a hiking buddy told me: "if you wait till you are actually thirsty out here, you are ALREADY dehydrated".

it was def. a game-changer in my thinking of when to take a drink, having come from a moist climate.

Anybody know if eating the lizzards will hurt chickens? I walked out there awhile ago, and there was a lizzard that had somehow trapped itself in the hole of a 1/2" hardware cloth wire. I seen one of the hens pull it out and run off with it, and the other hens were chasing her trying to get it away from her. They were eating it.

Last edited:
Anybody know if eating the lizzards will hurt chickens? I walked out there awhile ago, and there was a lizzard that had somehow trapped itself in the hole of a 1/2" hardware cloth wire. I seen one of the hens pull it out and run off with it, and the other hens were chasing her trying to get it away from her. They were eating it.
As long as the lizard didn't previously encounter any pesticides or poison, your girls should be fine.

My chickens ate a lizzard one time, (the chickens at school eats snakes regularly.......)

Yeah, mine love lizards...and toads. I'm not thrilled with them eating toads because too many of them out here our poisonous, but there was no way my hens were letting me take it away. And they can entertain me for hours chasing those huge, iridescent flying beetles around. Have you ever seen two chickens chest bump? LOL!

Back
Top Bottom