Arizona Chickens

Oh Thank you!

I have a question. I found one of the young cocks weak and staggering around a couple of days ago. Sence we have had a storm I thought he was hurt during it so being that it was a cock I just put him down. Now this evening another one of the young cocks was weak and staggering and really worse off then the other one was. When examining him I found he had these little red bugs all over him, on the skin! No it wasn't ants but sure were the size of those really small ants. The bugs seemed a little lacy looking also. I check all the others that was in that coop with him and didn't see anything else. What the heck is it? I did rake out all the coops and put down a thick layer of that DE. No one else seems sick. I am just happy it was cocks and not any of the hens!
Sounds like red poultry mites.

Okay....I guess we are talking about this here instead of PM.

I didn't use the quote because I was responding to the current topic. You just assumed I was biting my tongue to hold back a crude remark about chickens not being able to swim or perhaps not just dogs kill chickens because you know me so well (obviously not). What I was really referring to: As sad as it is to lose a couple of chicks I hope the child was not too severely punished for something that can ultimately be replaced. You can't replace a childhood experience.

I guess this is my bad for being concerned for a child on a chicken forum. Where are my priorities? Lesson learned. I'll be sure to quote exactly what I am referring to instead of the including the whole topic. Don't we get enough censored out of context news already? Do we need to do that here to?

Ok, so the first thought in my head when I read about the swimming challenged chickens was "Get a rope". Of course that was all in a lite mannered kind of way. I feel bad for the chickens but kids do the darndest things.

Last edited:
It really is hard to tell what people mean by their posts without a little explanation. Please don't feed the fire if a fire gets started. It makes for an uncomfortable place to hang.

I have a feeling that is partially the reason this thread has slowed down a bit.

Quote: By severely punished, I mean he's forbidden from the coop area until further notice, which is enough of a punishment for him. Alex loves the birds, but he's a danger to them until he grows up a little bit! He's mad at that, but also very sorry that he killed the babies. I'll probably let him back around the coops, supervised of course, in a week or two.

By severely punished, I mean he's forbidden from the coop area until further notice, which is enough of a punishment for him. Alex loves the birds, but he's a danger to them until he grows up a little bit! He's mad at that, but also very sorry that he killed the babies. I'll probably let him back around the coops, supervised of course, in a week or two.
I can imagine he is quite upset about it. Hopefully he learns his lesson and is more gentle with the birds next time.

Looks at all those quotes I just used!
celebrate.gif

I think it's time for a round of kumbaya!
hugs.gif

I can imagine he is quite upset about it. Hopefully he learns his lesson and is more gentle with the birds next time.
My middle girl has some severe problems and squished our FBCM chick "Legs". Legs recovered and was renamed "Lucky". They were locked up after that.

But when I was little someone (a teenage boy) gave my teenage sister (completely unprepared, no cage, no food, no knowhow) a cute little white bunny. Which our dachshund promptly ate. A combination of tragic mistakes. I was crushed, and cried for days.

Back
Top Bottom