Arkansas Blue egg layers

Pics

1muttsfan

Up Northerner
13 Years
Mar 26, 2011
Upper Peninsula Michigan
Since the original thread was closed, hopefully we can start again as there are many questions about and much interest in this breed.

This thread is for breed discussion only, including genetics, characteristics, and people's experience with these birds.

If you have issues with other members, or feel the need to complain or vent, please do so in a PM, or contact a moderator.

I believe we can have a civil discussion, and let everyone benefit from each other's experience. Poor sportsmanship will not be tolerated, and will be reported immediately for moderation.

This is Number One and Number Four from my hatch the end of March. Out of four, I got three cockerels :rolleyes:
They are all fine birds though from @1muttsfan
If anyone is in the Chicago area and interested in an Arkansas Blue rooster let me know. I'd be willing to meet within a couple hours drive.

PXL_20210531_163933814.jpg

PXL_20210531_163406517.jpg

They were developed in a graduate research project to be commercial blue egg laying hens. High production and good feed efficiency a very important in commercial birds. I think it was just too hard to get people to eat blue eggs :idunno

I'm downsizing my flock and just don't have the room for the kind of work it would take to get these birds back up on their feet again.

Last edited:
Just as a sad update, I am no longer shipping eggs. My flock has dwindled and hatchability has become an issue due to lack of genetic diversity.
I think these birds could have been continued as a breed if someone could have maintained larger numbers, or more flocks established.
Have you thought about introducing another bird to bring back in some genetic diversity? Maybe a blue Ameraucana hen proven to lay up to similar standards? One single outcross could totally save the breed!

Or maybe even one of the hatchery blue egger-types.

That could certainly be done, but I do not have the facilities to properly keep birds for a breeding program. There would have to be considerable hatching numbers and a lot of culling, as well as testing hens produced for production. It was the work of years to develop this breed, and would take years to reinvigorate them - which does not seem worth the effort as there has been little interest shown in them.

I have been trying for years here on BYC and locally to get people interested in these birds. With the difficulties involved transferring birds, including disease testing, shipping and avian influenza concerns, it would likely be prohibitive to ship them even if someone was interested. I offered free hatching eggs for the cost of shipping for 3 years and had only 4 takers.

I have been trying for years here on BYC and locally to get people interested in these birds.
I believe lack of interest was that it was an incipient breed that needed many breeders interested and invested in keeping breeding healthy genetic stock, as fewer and fewer breeders kept the breed this was bound to happen.

The issue is not that few people like to eat blue eggs, most people if given the chance between a white or blue, will choose a blue. The issue is how you get them. There are plenty of ways to get blue eggs(or light green) there are at least 5 breeds that can get the job done without breeders having to invest in maintaining the breed.

The basic premise of the breed was very simple. A chicken that could lay like a battery cage hen(340-350 eggs per year) with beautiful blue eggs. Having mostly productive leghorn in them assured most of that production claim. But the breed never took off due to the small pool of breeders and was not backed up by a hatchery like the True Blue or True Green lines..

Back
Top Bottom