Arkansas Blue egg layers

This is Number One and Number Four from my hatch the end of March. Out of four, I got three cockerels :rolleyes:
They are all fine birds though from @1muttsfan
If anyone is in the Chicago area and interested in an Arkansas Blue rooster let me know. I'd be willing to meet within a couple hours drive.

PXL_20210531_163933814.jpg

PXL_20210531_163406517.jpg

Just as a sad update, I am no longer shipping eggs. My flock has dwindled and hatchability has become an issue due to lack of genetic diversity.
I think these birds could have been continued as a breed if someone could have maintained larger numbers, or more flocks established.
Have you thought about introducing another bird to bring back in some genetic diversity? Maybe a blue Ameraucana hen proven to lay up to similar standards? One single outcross could totally save the breed!

Or maybe even one of the hatchery blue egger-types.

That could certainly be done, but I do not have the facilities to properly keep birds for a breeding program. There would have to be considerable hatching numbers and a lot of culling, as well as testing hens produced for production. It was the work of years to develop this breed, and would take years to reinvigorate them - which does not seem worth the effort as there has been little interest shown in them.

Back
Top Bottom