Ask your chick related questions HERE! (Newbies welcome!)

I have a momma hen who hatched 4 babies which are almost 5 weeks old. Momma and the babies are in a separate run attached to the older hens run so they all can see each other and what not. My question is at what age should we start to let momma and babies in with the rest of the older flock? I do know that this morning some how a baby got in with the older flock and all that happened was the older hens and our rooster did not do anything to the baby chick they just made a whole lot of noise.

Hi all,
I am moving from DFW, Texas to Victorville, California. We will be moving into a new community at a KB home. Our realtor could not answer this question, perhaps Y'all can.
Do any of Y'all know if I am allowed to raise backyard hens for eggs in Victorville? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

H. W.

Victorville California Chicken Ordinance

By: Grey Bird Farm
Posted 3/29/10 • Last updated 3/29/10 • 1,346 views • 0 comments
Victorville California Chicken Ordinance

Are Chickens Allowed in this location Yes
Max Chickens Allowed no chickens allowed on lots under1/2 acre. Upto 3 poutry on lots over 1/2 acre with permit. Multifamily dwellings (regardless of lot size) are considered to be less and 1/2 acre lot.
Roosters Allowed No
Permit Required Yes
Coop Restrictions Animals must remained confined at all times.
City/Organization Contact name 14343 Civic Drive Victorville, CA. 92393-5001 Phone: 760.955.5000 [email protected]
Additional Information Title 7 7.04.035 lot size and number of bird restrictions outlined in sections 2 and 3
Link for more Information http://library2.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=16674&doc_action=whatsnew
Information Last Updated 2010-03-29 21:09:46​

I can't find this question elsewhere, so I'll ask: I have a new chick as of yesterday morning, and mama seems to be doing really well with it. They are hanging out in a nesting box that's not right on the ground, which I learned late in the game would have been ideal. Will the chick be able to hop the short distance up? Should I move them into a box on the ground after dark tonight?

I can't find this question elsewhere, so I'll ask: I have a new chick as of yesterday morning, and mama seems to be doing really well with it. They are hanging out in a nesting box that's not right on the ground, which I learned late in the game would have been ideal. Will the chick be able to hop the short distance up? Should I move them into a box on the ground after dark tonight?

Could you put up a ramp for a couple of weeks?

They managed to hop out and are living on the ground-- it's going very well!

We also have our incubator chicks starting to hatch. I was going to try to trick the successful mama into adopting the only one we have so far (it hatched on day 19, which coincided with our first day of summer camp!) if no friends join it by this evening, so it won't be alone. I've read that taking the existing chick until it cries and mama is frantically searching, then returning two chicks, that mama might fall for it. Or, sticking it under her after dark when she's too drowsy to notice. I hear chickens can't count!

Hello everyone. I want to ask about chick sneezing/coughing whatever it is. It just sounds like "kuff" after some time. I have buff cochin bantams of age about 1 to 1.5 month, they are doing this "kuff" thing. I dont know actually it sneezing or coughing. Its really hot here in Pakistan by the way so what should i do if its sneezing or if its coughing ? Thank you. :)

Got my first egg on Monday! One of my 3 1/2 month old pullets laid it - don't know which one - but I haven't seen another one yet (as of Thurdsay evening). Is this normal when they first start laying?

WOW! That's only 14 wks old. My 3 oldest pullets are 21 weeks and I haven't gotten an egg yet. I truly don't know for sure but my guess is that is normal.

Back
Top Bottom