At what age do Black Australorps begin to lay their first eggs???

Mine are 31 weeks old. One looks like she should be laying, she squatted yesterday for the first time. My second one does not have a mature comb or wattles yet. I have them on lights, so they are getting at least 12 hours a day. My EE's started laying at 25 and 26 weeks of age.
I guess one of these days my Australorps with surprise me with an egg.

I have a gold laced Wyandotte and and EE about the same age as my Australorp, 8+ months, and neither has laid an egg.

My 15 Red Sex Links will be 17 weeks mid July, 3 Black Sex Links 1 week after that then 6 Australorps 2 weeks after that. Sooooooo, I'll have 24 potentially laying hens by the end of July 2017. YEAHHHHHH!!!!!!

Mine r only 9 weeks old 17 more weeks to wait hmmmmm mine r as big as yours and i got them at 4 days old i do keep them in my garden so they feast constantly if there not eatting there sleeping then they go in the coop at night waiting is the hard part

I have two BA's that are 22.5 weeks old now (plus a Buff Orp. and a Mottled Cochin Bantam). The larger BA has had a nice bright red comb and waddles for a few weeks, but alas no eggs. This is my first time owning chickens so of course the suspense is killing me. She seems to be talking a lot more lately, mostly complaining to be let out of the run, or after getting treats she'll sort of yell at me? Like a long "Buuurrr buurr bur" No squatting and no interest taken in the nesting box. Ive tried to "measure" her to see if she's ready for eggs, but I really have no idea what the heck I'm doing. Here are a few pics just because I'm obsessed. The first two pictures are the same bird and she's the one in the back in the third picture.

Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 10.42.21 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 10.43.44 AM.png Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 10.42.39 AM.png

Ironically my AUSSIE just laid her first egg (small egg) at 22 weeks.....funny thing is her waddles & comb really aren't that developed???? They are red but nothing like what the GC's features looked like when she started laying....and might I say the GC has yet to miss a beat with leaving me an egg (large sized at that) everyday since she started. The BR (small egg) is spotty at best but boy my Mimi is a rock star in my book.
Rose.jpg Mimi.jpg

My Aussie girls are 17 weeks old tomorrow. They are just now beginning to get their combs and wattles in and a couple of the girls are beginning to get red in the combs and wattles just a bit. I am going thru 50 pounds of chick starter a month and I am down to my last bag. So I am not sure if I need another bag.

So my question is, at what week should I start to see some eggs?

Thanks...Leyla
smile.png
Was funny to see this old, old thread pop up.
You've come a long ways @TwoCrows baby!!!

Back
Top Bottom