At what age do Black Australorps begin to lay their first eggs???

Romana just started laying last week, at 24 weeks.
20180904_134652.jpg
20180902_132011.jpg

Lol, sorry for bringing back up an old thread. Good news though, "Fat" (thats the big BA's name) started squatting for me the day after I posted and then just yesterday she was checking out the nesting box!!! All four girls were very chatty and restless when they came out this morning (6 am ) and I've been keeping an eye on them from the chicken cam and they are still rather noisy. Is this a good sign? Maybe I'll have an egg when I get home????

Well mine are still very young, I have four pullets today they went into the coop/run that will be their mobile home. The Guniea fowl have their coop/run next to the pullets. Both coop/runs can be rolled around the property so they have fresh grass each day. Two of the Gunieas I hand raised and when I allow them to roam in the afternoons they follow me everywhere, if I go in the house they make a high racket till I come out. My austrolorp pullets have been handled some the day of purchase and are bonded to me a!so. Total of 4 pullets. They will probably not produce eggs till spring as I live in the Georgia mountains. I do plan on getting them a "sweeter Heater". My feather children are part of my small family. Three of the Guniea's have names:Angel, Max & Shelly leaving one Guniea unarmed as yet. Two of the 4 pullet s have names: Amypea & cuddly. So that's our story and we are sticking too it.

My Australorp started at 22 weeks and I started the switch to Purina Layena Oyster Strong at 19 Weeks now all are laying eggs. Also I have Red Rhodesian, Golden Comet and Barred Rocks this ones started at 20 weeks to lay eggs.

Later that day after posting (complaining) on here, I went home to find that Fat, the larger Australorp had laid her first egg. Then a few days later the other Australorp started and about two weeks after that the bantam started in on the fun. Now we're just waiting on the big ol' orpington to start. She's 26 weeks old now.

Our Australorp is the only one not laying out of five pullets, we got them on May 1st as chicks. She is squatting and wow has she become vocal. She was the quiet shy chick ... not now! She will even march in the coop when the other girls are in the nesting box and "yell" at them while she paces in front of the nests. She should be laying soon.

My BA girls comb and waddle is getting bigger. It's not really red yet. I got her 8/3/2020 and she appeared to be a week old, based on having wing feathers but still fluffy in other spots. My RIR girls still have Tiny combs and waddle's

Back
Top Bottom