At what age do silkies start to lay????

Well just to scare everyone ... My first silkie hen.. Didn't start laying until she was almost 1 and 1/2 YEARS old... She lays at least 3 days on a row skips a day lays another, skips a day lays 3 to 4 and starts again... So for a silkie she lays well... (I have gotten six to seven eggs in a week from her) but I just hope the babies don't take as long as momma did!

Well, I think it just depends on the chicken. My little girl, well one of them (I've got 4 silkies)
tongue.png
, she's about 4 months old and I walked in the chicken coop, and I saw her bolt out of the egg laying thing
D.gif
. I checked in there, but, no egg
sad.png
. the next day we got 2 free chickens from our neibour, and one of them layed really small eggs, but her eggs are always that chestnut brown. I went in there yesterday and collected a small white egg! Now, I don't know if it's her egg or the one we got from the neibour's, but its a tiny bit smaller then her egg (it's smaller then the one from our neibour's). I don't know if she crows yet, but I think she might
big_smile.png

Can anyone tell me how old might this silkie be. It was given to me as a gift, and not even the person that gave it to me know how old it is.

It not a mix, you see when they gavE her to me she had her puffy hair and couldn't barely see. Where I live we have eagle and falcon that would love to eat a small hen. So I cut her puffy hat low so she can feel more comfortable being about as well as keeping an eye out for predators. I also took out her feet feather since they were cover in poop

I have two little white sillkies they are laying eggs at 6 to 7 mounths they lay every third day or so ì love sillkies

You need to hold them as much as possible. Snuggle with them, talk to them, let them eat out of your hands, put them in a basket and keep them with you when you can. It takes a while. Just hold them close to your chest while you watch TV and let them relax. Takes a while, be patient, very patient, and you will have them following you everywhere. Continue to do so or if you do not pay attention to them for a few days they will start running away from you again. They have a very short attention span.

Back
Top Bottom