ATTN: Yokohama Lovers!

Haha I'm glad you got the irony
lol.png
Thanks! I really liked how much tail fluff she had.

OMG the babies are precious! You can see the black on some of their legs but I didn't see any extra toes (might have missed them) but you can see which 2 have definite crests. Look like little polish bumps. ME WANT!!!!!!

Yep some have partial vaults! About half are 10 toed but some are 9 and some are 8 haha. I have some black ones also but they are younger. I tell myself every year that I will not hatch until I separate the pens bbbbbuuuuutttttt this year I really outdid myself with 28 babys with unknown parentage! Gah it's going to be fun to guess genetics, good thing I have a retired/messup pen
big_smile.png

If you want any DragonEggs just let me know. These guys should be able to ship in another month.

Sorry I don't have anything to add but I have a question for the Yokohama owners. I was really tempted to get some this year and resisted since it is my first year with chickens and I just stuck with some "normal" egg layers. But I just LOVE the look of the red shoulder Yokohama. So now I am again way ahead of time but I think I will get some next year. So here are my questions:
- Can I mix them with my egg layers or would it be better to have a separate coop ?
- Do they need special requirements for their coop ?
- Do they eat just regular chicken feed or any special requirements ?
- I think I would order them from Cackle, anyone any experience with their Yokohamas ?

Treat them like a chicken, & everything will be fine. They are very mellow birds. They are cold sensitive, but a light bulb by their roost did fine the last couple of winters. I've seen pictures of Cackles Yokohamas, & they look fine.I have mine separate, so they don't crossbreed. They lay, on the average, 1 egg a week. To boost egg production, boost the fat content in their feed. Good luck.
44102_p4140004.jpg

Well, because of all this zoning BS I had to move all my birds to the garage, then we were told they wanted to inspect inside the house (what?!) so I had to move them to my boss' place. They were so mad about being in the garage and even madder about being oved again, but are now SO HAPPY on my boss' 5 acres with grass and dirt and sand! They were so exhausted from scratching, pecking, and dust bathing by 5 o clock that they were already going down to roost. My rooster only had enough energy to crow once all day! It's like a little chicken spa for them!

My Yokohamas amaze me everyday with how well they have handled all this and have stayed super sweet through it all! They come right up to me everytime they see me, are there first even before the chickesn I've had the longest, and they make such happy noises when I pet them. I never knew they were SO SOFT! Right up there with my silkies, and my male is developing quite the little lion's mane. I did notice a distinguishly blacker feather growing in his tail which is nearing the 8-9 inches already. How long do you think it could grow to be by January? Id LOVE to enter him in the fair!

Sad news guys......

My Yokohama pullet Juliet was culled today. She had mysteriously began to lose weight and was nothing but skin and bones. I'd had her eating scrambled eggs and water with duramycin just yesterday but today she seemed to lose her strength and will. When I attempted to hydrate her she became limp and threw up. I couldn't bear to see her suffer so I had my boyfriend do the dirty deed.

She was so beautiful and so very gentle. Her boyfriend Jasper misses her already.....

Back
Top Bottom