ATTN: Yokohama Lovers!

The phoenix banties I had were about the size of a large silkie.

The serama coloring would be what I would worry about. Some people are finally getting certain serama colors to breed true but you still get a weirdo every once in awhile... I think breeding the red shouldered yokos with certain color seramas for gens could produce an interesting color offspring...

Black tailed white japs would be an interesting concept to breed with white yokos.... I always like the way the black tailed buffs looked better but we would have to start with some kind of standard.

So, I got an idea for this long tail serama idea. I wanna play with it some more in my head before I write it down here....

Anyone ever get any silkied yokos? My silkie roo is pretty interested in my female yoko but he's a patient man and will wait forever before he has his chance. He's a white so it makes me wonder what that might look like...

Also, since you mentioned frizzled yokos I've been trying to figure that one out.... How could we introduce the frizzled gene? Through sizzles maybe?

You could introduce the Frizzle gene through Frizzled Sumatras, I just saw them like 3 days ago but I can't remeber where. I think they were from BYC and in someones sig

thumbsup.gif
may be on to something there!
woot.gif

Birdaholic those are some beautiful Yokos!
thumbsup.gif

If you guys wanted to make a mini longtail, just remember that a lot of the longtail genes are recessive. So Serama x Yokohama (phoenix, sumatra whatever) and then cross the f1 together and continue to breed from the smallest, best longtailed birds. An Ohiki x Serama would might result in smaller birds. I've thought of starting a project before but of course the realities of pen space and feed costs (and all my other progects....haha) always set in

LoL, I'm pretty serious about sticking to this one. My original idea was calico silkies, but I've seen some project birds and they don't look so great. Gonna wait a few more years before I try to get in on that. I AM interested in this idea of frizzled and silkied yokohamas and long tailed seramas.

Thank you for the ohiki idea. That just might be our foundation. I might begin by crossing ohikis with yokohamas or phoenix bantams to develop a smaller bird while at the same time boost the length of the tail. Then cross the smallest and longest tailed birds with seramas. I'll also try straight cross breeding ohikis with seramas and breeding any long tail offspring back to a serama. The only think I worry about with ohikis is they have white earlobes and seramas are suppose to have red. That could cause quite a bit of culling. The idea of any long tailed bird project is going to take years anyway since it takes awhile to know how long the tail is going to be.

Now I have to get ahold of some of those frizzled sumatras and trace them back to their original line for the yokohama project.

Anyone have a good idea for silkied yokohamas? All I can think of is using white silkied and breeding the offspring with the longest tails and best yokohama features together.

Here are my red shouldered yokohamas..just 5 weeks old yesterday
very sweet and like taking pictures
smile.png

i have two other pullets but i had to clean them because they found a
nice fun mud puddle :S

PTDC0110.jpg

Momo the sweetest of the pullets

PTDC0113.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom