August 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
If I can build some appropriate broody nest boxes I may can have a couple of broody hatches in August yet. 4 pullets, (almost hens) are broody now. They all have that broody peckitis when I try to move them off of the nests. They cannot set where they are in a community nest box. It's not the end of the world for either of us if we don't get it done this time. I love broody hens and chicks.

I have my first batch ready for this hatch a long. Olive eggers in both first cross and back cross plus some blue layers (Araucana and cream legbar) a Welsummer, Polish and some Brahma.
I'll probably be adding more larer on.

Attachments

• 20230714_192011.jpg
    20230714_192011.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 10
Ugh! So I have my tracking so it texts me updates on my eggs. I get texts last night that they left the distribution center for USPS which happens to be like 20 min from my house at 630, 8pm and just before 11pm last night..... All for 1 pack of eggs.... They STILL haven't been scanned into my PO 9 hrs after the last scan. Ugh!!!! The estimated delivery was yesterday, lately hers have been a day late. We leave to go away for the weekend this afternoon.... So depending on when they are ready for me to pick them up they are only going to have a couple hours to rest before I have to set them. Ugh!!!!!

Well, broody girl is definitely broody. .she came off the nest once yesterday...idk for how long...
Long enough for another to lay an egg...

But she's sat for a bit more than 24hrs now...and man does she puff up if we go by her...

Pretty excited for her.

I thought abt taking the divider for the boxes out so she'd have one big box.... (maybe closer to hatch ) to have her chicks in for the first few days. When I made the box, I made it so the littles (if there ever were any) had easy access to the coop once old enough and could get out of the box easily...so I won't change anything there...maybe block it for the first few days...idk...

My other eggs ship Monday, should have them Tuesday or wednesday...regardless they go in no later than Wednesday night. (So long as shipping goes OK lol

Lol. I hatched March, April, 2 in May, June, now a couple in July but all close together and now Aug. Lol
All 4 of my hatches have literally been 1 right after another, except this one, it's been about 6 weeks since my last hatch, and this one is definitely working my nerves, it's been a mess, lol.

Back
Top Bottom