August 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
I'll probably modify some rabbit cages, or make a small run with a covered area with the hardware cloth. Something I can move around on the grass too, so they can do some foraging.

I'm mostly worried about the time of year, as nights are getting chili, and even days are cooling down. Why the heck did they all go broody this late in the season??! :gig :idunno
I suppose it is getting cool where you are... (note name 🤦‍♀️)

We are still pretty warm...my coop is easily split so I'll be splitting it off once they go out full time...but imma keep these babies in for abt 2 wks I think...the down side to this coop...its elevated ....sigh.... so no easy access...

What are your temps...
I brooded outdoors in Feb in IL and it was chilly...

I have a whole thread dedicated to the temps and conditions during that time...if you care to look at it to see how they did in the temps...ill link it if you want...

So we found some little buddies for our lone hatchling! Over the moon!

Attachments

• 02846D5D-2A48-487C-BDF1-063D65C14C75.jpeg
    02846D5D-2A48-487C-BDF1-063D65C14C75.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 2679C692-FF5B-4F32-BC24-A16B1682EF4C.jpeg
    2679C692-FF5B-4F32-BC24-A16B1682EF4C.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 7
I suppose it is getting cool where you are... (note name 🤦‍♀️)

We are still pretty warm...my coop is easily split so I'll be splitting it off once they go out full time...but imma keep these babies in for abt 2 wks I think...the down side to this coop...its elevated ....sigh.... so no easy access...

What are your temps...
I brooded outdoors in Feb in IL and it was chilly...

I have a whole thread dedicated to the temps and conditions during that time...if you care to look at it to see how they did in the temps...ill link it if you want...
Right now, temps are hovering around 20 C, or a bit higher, during the day, going to low teens at night. I'm sure they'll be fine. Mom has a lot of down. :)

I have 24 barnyard mix eggs in the incubator right now that should be hatching on the 21st. I also have 12 Cream Legbar eggs in the incubator, but it looks like none of them are viable :hit . I got the Legbar eggs off of Ebay, and shipped hatching eggs is always a risk. I was just hoping I'd be the lucky one and have some hatch. Oh well 😩. Legbars have been on the wish list for a while, but I'll just have to wait till next year to get some chicks. Unfortunately, I will be away when the eggs are going to hatch, so someone is going to take care of them. It's kind of sad that I won't be able to see them hatch, and I always feel like it will go better if I'm there when they hatch. I wish I knew someone who lived close to me and who was chicken crazy like me, it would just be more reassuring.
Wishing the best of luck for everyone else!
I got 12 legbar eggs from ebay. very nice color. I gave 4 to someone else and those were started later but think they were doing good. and I had 8 in the incubator. 6/8 hatched and all 8 started. I will find who it was and send it to you if you are interested. Not sure where you are but she is from one of the Carolina's.

Back
Top Bottom