August 2023 hatch-a-long

Pics
My Aug babies are all doing great! They are 11-12 days old and growing so fast. I need to get them to the outside brooder with the others but need a day I am home to watch them, but life has been crazy.

Remember that little straggler that hatched with the crooked neck? The neck straightened out some but is still a bit bent. It eats and drinks but doesn't come out to play with the rest. It sort of walks in a circle and hasn't grown at all since hatch. It is now 10 days old. The pics are from tonight with another CCL that hatched with it, so 11 days old.... I don't have it in me to cull it and it doesn't seem to be suffering but I can't put it out with the almost 4 week olds so that is part of why the others haven't gone out.... I didn't expect the chick to make it this far.
I know it's hard, but if it isn't growing and the neck is still turned... well, maybe doing it sooner rather than later would be best. :hugs

My Aug babies are all doing great! They are 11-12 days old and growing so fast. I need to get them to the outside brooder with the others but need a day I am home to watch them, but life has been crazy.

Remember that little straggler that hatched with the crooked neck? The neck straightened out some but is still a bit bent. It eats and drinks but doesn't come out to play with the rest. It sort of walks in a circle and hasn't grown at all since hatch. It is now 10 days old. The pics are from tonight with another CCL that hatched with it, so 11 days old.... I don't have it in me to cull it and it doesn't seem to be suffering but I can't put it out with the almost 4 week olds so that is part of why the others haven't gone out.... I didn't expect the chick to make it this far.
Awww so tiny!!!
I understand where you're coming from....❤️❤️❤️
I know it's a hard decision!! 😪

FOUND HER!!!

Found the broody that is hiding her eggs. Along the rock-face bordering the property and the road, under a cedar tree. :barnie

She'd managed to knock some of the eggs out of the nest, too. :he Amazingly, only one was cracked. After maneuvering myself along the rock, I gathered the eggs and put them back in the nest, and gave her some food.

The cracked egg didn't look too bad, just a chip really, and I covered that with the only stuff I had which was wood-glue, and put it in the incubator with the rest. Lets hope their little trip didn't scramble them.

Estimated hatch would be by mid-week next week, or up to the weekend. We shall see. I may attempt to move her... If she does succeed to hatch these out, and the ones from my lost broody also hatch, I'm going to try to give her those chicks.

FOUND HER!!!

Found the broody that is hiding her eggs. Along the rock-face bordering the property and the road, under a cedar tree. :barnie

She'd managed to knock some of the eggs out of the nest, too. :he Amazingly, only one was cracked. After maneuvering myself along the rock, I gathered the eggs and put them back in the nest, and gave her some food.

The cracked egg didn't look too bad, just a chip really, and I covered that with the only stuff I had which was wood-glue, and put it in the incubator with the rest. Lets hope their little trip didn't scramble them.

Estimated hatch would be by mid-week next week, or up to the weekend. We shall see. I may attempt to move her... If she does succeed to hatch these out, and the ones from my lost broody also hatch, I'm going to try to give her those chicks.
Good luck!!! I am so glad at least when mine go broody it is in a nest box or I would have surprise chicks all over. Lol

FOUND HER!!!

Lol. I haven’t had any hens brood outside the nesting boxes yet. Although, I wouldn’t mind having a few surprise chicks 🤣

That’s good the cracked egg doesn’t look too bad. I use a candle that isn’t scented or colored and I just melt a little bit of it and let it drip onto my eggs that have cracks.

I hope they hatch! Keep us updated!

First pic, if you squeeze them back together thay is how they were in the egg...

Second pic is to better show their size...which I can't believe actually fit in a 52g egg
Thank you for sharing these pictures.
I’m amazed; first reaction was 💗 because this was incredible, but then I viewed the full size for each. Seeing them in such a state drew a tear to my eye, and I found myself locked in empathy with their struggle. Brave little babies. :hit

In sunnier news, I’ve had 11 keets hatch throughout this summer: the latest being another pied ~4 days ago. I’m about to clean out my incubator for sure for the year ( :rolleyes: do I believe that? Lol) but there are 2 eggs left that I feel fatigued thinking about.

Oh no, I was hoping no one would say that :hmm :D

That’s what I was wondering too but I’ve never had/seen/candled twins before so I’m still hoping it’s just weird positioning? If they are twins, I think I’ll risk an assisted hatch, assuming they make it that far…
I thought it looked like twins too...

If I had mine to do again...I'd have assisted sooner...

I thought abt it a few times...had I know hatching was gonna start on day 19 I would have...sigh...

Back
Top Bottom