August Hatch-A-Long

Hmmm....the only experience I had with eggs turning dark did not turn out well
hmm.png
and they were Pekin ducks. Mine started to turn dark maybe 4 days before they were due to hatch...no idea why and they didn't hatch
sad.png
I tried to figure out why because until that time they were fine, could see them growing and looking good but nobody really had an answer. Mine never smelled bad and I actually kept them 4 days after their hatch date just to make sure they weren't going to hatch. Sorry...wish I had a better experience to share...but that doesn't mean your outcome will be the same. I did have some humidity issues(got too high) so wondered if that was my problem? Fingers are crossed for your eggs
fl.gif

Hmmm....the only experience I had with eggs turning dark did not turn out well :/  and they were Pekin ducks. Mine started to turn dark maybe 4 days before they were due to hatch...no idea why and they didn't hatch :(   I tried to figure out why because until that time they were fine, could see them growing and looking good but nobody really had an answer. Mine never smelled bad and I actually kept them 4 days after their hatch date just to make sure they weren't going to hatch. Sorry...wish I had a better experience to share...but that doesn't mean your outcome will be the same. I did have some humidity issues(got too high) so wondered if that was my problem? Fingers are crossed for your eggs :fl

Mine seemed fine when I candled on day 18. And then the one that hatched 3 days early. I feel like I need to do something. Mine haven't smelled bad either. My humidity has been on the low side occasionally but my temp has been rock steady.

Last edited:
Mine seemed fine when I candled on day 18. And then the one that hatched 3 days early. I feel like I need to do something. Mine haven't smelled bad either. My humidity has been on the low side occasionally but my temp has been rock steady.
Try posting in the duck area with a bold HELP title and duck eggs getting dark and see what feedback you get. Wish I could be more help
hugs.gif

Hope it turns out for you! I wish I could help but I have no knowledge in hatching...I hope someone in the duck forum will know what to do!

I love watching that.  I have two mommas and they must have a different chirp, because there is no confusion with the chicks! 

Aug: Update.  Just candled eggs I felt were certainly dead, after rough shipping and a bad start in the incubator.  We have action!!!
That is great news!!!

After candling and water candling with absolutely no movement and the eggs turning black, I made the decision to do egg autopsies. Taking care that if there was the slightest sign of life to take measures to do anything to save them. I have been reading a lot on saving preemies. They were all definitely quitters. One had internally pipped, I thought I had seen the pip on Sunday when I candled at lockdown. Two looked full term but a couple of days dead and two had probably quit 3-5 days ago. It saddens me that my poor lonely duckling will only have the chickens to live with. I have to decide when to get more Ancona duck eggs. Now or in the spring. :hit

After candling and water candling with absolutely no movement and the eggs turning black, I made the decision to do egg autopsies. Taking care that if there was the slightest sign of life to take measures to do anything to save them. I have been reading a lot on saving preemies. They were all definitely quitters. One had internally pipped, I thought I had seen the pip on Sunday when I candled at lockdown. Two looked full term but a couple of days dead and two had probably quit 3-5 days ago. It saddens me that my poor lonely duckling will only have the chickens to live with. I have to decide when to get more Ancona duck eggs. Now or in the spring.
hit.gif
First of all, very sorry about the lose of your other eggs.

Thank you very much for following up. I had not heard of eggs turning dark before.

hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom