August Hatch-A-Long

Thank you for your post. I think that was the first time I have taken a 'full' breath since I won those eggs! Good to have 'proof' I am not alone....
woot.gif
LOL I have done nothing but freak the eff out since I got the email that our eggs have shipped...You've found a partner in neurosis in me
lau.gif

barnie.gif

I did it AGAIN, I dropped an egg on top of another egg and cracked one
hit.gif

What gives? I hope this one will make it, its just a small dent, but of course its below the air cell.
I put my newest batch of 20 in cartons so I wouldn't have the opportunity to mess them up by dropping them.
What a bummer. I put a piece of tape over the crack for now, hopefully that'll keep it going. 5 more days until hatch.

Good luck everyone
smile.png
th.gif
I'm so sorry! I am so scared I'm going to do this...I have had a couple of near misses & it is so scary! I hope it pulls through, how is the 1st dropped one doing?

LOL I have done nothing but freak the eff out since I got the email that our eggs have shipped...You've found a partner in neurosis in me
lau.gif

Can I join? I think I made up a new swear word when I opened the egg box to see how many eggs I have to set and try to hatch!
Along with new swear word I think I instantly added about 100 more grey hairs and at least three new wrinkles.
I wish you(z) the bestest.... please please please do the same for me. (Flarbenuegger)
sickbyc.gif

Today I candled the 15 Buckeye eggs that have been in the incubator for 6 days now.I could see veining on all but one of the eggs. Even the egg that had some pretty major cracks that I sealed with wax appeared to be developing. I am very hopeful for this batch of eggs after having two, 0 hatch batches with shipped eggs.

Oh my goodness! Great job with the wax repaired egg! I hope this hatch goes better for you. Shipping eggs is for crazy people (like us!)

I hope this batch goes better! I have read that you have to take them out quickly or your broody's body heat will cause them to develop, but I don't know how often you should remove them as I'm new to chickens & have crammed way too much reading in my noggin, but don't have much actual experience
smile.png
. Does anyone else here know how quickly an egg should be removed from a broody to prevent development?

Thanks! Already two of the eggs were thrown out of the nest so I hope they are okay. I solved my problem and put the broody in her own spot and gave the other hen her own nest box so hopefully all will be peaceful now and no one will be sitting on the fresh eggs!

How are your eggs doing... recovered form their cooling? I hope they are doing well... who knew incubating could be so drama filled, right? I guess there are just so many variables that one or more of them is bound to go haywire!

LOL....yep you are hooked for sure
wink.png
But rest assured nobody on this forum will ever discourage your egg crazy hatching habit
big_smile.png
As a matter of fact, you can count on us to feed and nurture it until your friends and family are SURE you have gone egg crazy..LOL
lau.gif

I am glad I have your support ; ) I already ordered another 24+ Serama eggs that will likely ship next week... so excited! After that I will try to take a break.. I am already hatching some chicks I will need to find homes for!

My daughter (4 lots down the street) had about 25 hens of various breeds and had started a co-op to peddle the eggs. She told me that she could not keep up with the demand and asked me to get some chickens to help her out. She said that she could sell all that I could come up with. So in Feb of this year, I bought into her plan and I mean really bought into her plan. I ordered 400 day old chicks. Since then, I sold off a bout 125, had dead losses and predator kills. My wife really got into it and has decided to hatch her own pure breeds. So I bought her a sportsman 1510. She should have her first hatching on Aug, 8. Only 12 eggs to start with just to make sure her system if working properly.

Awesome, I wish I could get my mom on board! She loves birds though, so she has enjoyed my peachicks... funny birds that they are... and seeing my hen with her baby chicks. Good luck on the hatch... that's tomorrow!! Let us know how they do!

th.gif
I'm so sorry! I am so scared I'm going to do this...I have had a couple of near misses & it is so scary! I hope it pulls through, how is the 1st dropped one doing?
Thanks, I've been terribly clumsy with this batch. I'm usually really careful, but I was rushing to do other things both times I cracked them, so I just need to slow down. My first one quit, but it was super banged up so it was no surprise
hmm.png

so sorry
hugs.gif
I am such a clumsy person and my biggest fear is dropping an egg!! Hopefully it still makes it
fl.gif

I did that twice while candling last week! I got lucky that one of the cracked eggs was a clear that I hadn't checked yet. I've also been pretty clumsy when collecting eggs, I've dropped 4 or 5 already this week. I've also cracked two while rolling them around (turning) in my DIY incubator, sometimes an eggs rolls into the corner and I stick my finger in there to roll it out and go right through the shell.

Good luck with yours! I need to slow down and be more careful.
Thanks guys, I'm so glad I have others to share with. When I told my hubby I'd cracked another one, all I got was
idunno.gif
hu.gif

Y'all understand
wink.png
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom