August Hatch-A-Long

Hi, How are your eggs doing?? I havn't heard from you, hope all is going ok
hmm.png
love.gif
Oh, thanks for asking. And I'm so happy for you about your little fluffballs!!! Can't wait to see pics if you are able to...
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I'm afraid my eggs have all died. No wiggling, no cheeps, and certainly no pips. I haven't taken them out, because I once read that someone's chicken egg took as long as 28 days to hatch...So I'm going to leave them til something explodes or starts to smell...Or maybe, quite possibly, on the slightest chance, I get a chick or two very late (?)...
idunno.gif
I just don't know how to help them. I know 4 of them were definitely alive on day 18. Since lockdown, they're all on their sides with the lowest part of the air cell up, humidity has stayed a solid 65%, temp 99 - 100...I haven't moved the bator for fear of interfering with them obtaining proper positioning....But I must confess to tapping on it lightly with my finger nail...only a time or two...you know, just in case they wake up & wiggle for me...
fl.gif

Oh, thanks for asking. And I'm so happy for you about your little fluffballs!!! Can't wait to see pics if you are able to...
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

I'm afraid my eggs have all died. No wiggling, no cheeps, and certainly no pips. I haven't taken them out, because I once read that someone's chicken egg took as long as 28 days to hatch...So I'm going to leave them til something explodes or starts to smell...Or maybe, quite possibly, on the slightest chance, I get a chick or two very late (?)...
idunno.gif
I just don't know how to help them. I know 4 of them were definitely alive on day 18. Since lockdown, they're all on their sides with the lowest part of the air cell up, humidity has stayed a solid 65%, temp 99 - 100...I haven't moved the bator for fear of interfering with them obtaining proper positioning....But I must confess to tapping on it lightly with my finger nail...only a time or two...you know, just in case they wake up & wiggle for me...
fl.gif
I sure hope you get a couple. So sad. I have seen most all of mine move but they are sure taking there time! The first one I thought was noisy from not having a friend but #2 is really loud..lol If I don't have any new pips after #3 is out I'm going to take the 3 out of bator. They are just having a great big football game with there friends and driving me crazy thinking the other chicks won't be able to get out. Now I understand why some always use cartons to hatch. I will pray and keep fingers crossed for your eggs and will be looking for you to post that one has pipped!
hugs.gif
jumpy.gif

jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif

idunno.gif
fl.gif

Oh no, no internal pips or anything!? You could candle to see if anyone is still moving. They can't dry out if no one has pipped. I just stick my flash light right on the egg where it is in the bator so I'm not moving the egg. Fingers crossed for you!

@ WendyF, my first hatch, hatched on day 25. I was getting ready to do a float check. Only 2 of them hatched though. I don't know what happened. I hope your will hatch late!

New update! I have 3 chicks hatched and looking good! Then I noticed my only egg that made it from the second group, that I put in bator almost 2 days later, and have in a carton since I felt it had detatched air, has a crack in the far side almost back of how I had it laying in carton. It looks almost like a pip would but its not through the membrane, just the piece of shell is off. Now I don't know if the little darlings that have been running around like crazy could have possibly done this, although I wouldn't think they are strong enough to, or if this chick inside is already trying to pip. I really don't like to interfere so I guess I'm going to see if I can see movement and it breaks through membrane. I do think as long as no one else has pipped I'm going to remove the 3 stooges!!! I think they should be ok?? Does anyone have input on how soon its ok to remove from bator? I've had my brooder up and running and very warm and cozy.

Last edited:
New update! I have 3 chicks hatched and looking good! Then I noticed my only egg that made it from the second group, that I put in bator almost 2 days later, and have in a carton since I felt it had detatched air, has a crack in the far side almost back of how I had it laying in carton. It looks almost like a pip would but its not through the membrane, just the piece of shell is off. Now I don't know if the little darlings that have been running around like crazy could have possibly done this, although I wouldn't think they are strong enough to, or if this chick inside is already trying to pip. I really don't like to interfere so I guess I'm going to see if I can see movement and it breaks through membrane. I do think as long as no one else has pipped I'm going to remove the 3 stooges!!! I think they should be ok?? Does anyone have input on how soon its ok to remove from bator? I've had my brooder up and running and very warm and cozy.

If they are dry, quickly remove them without disturbing anything else! :) Grats on the chicks.

If they are dry, quickly remove them without disturbing anything else! :) Grats on the chicks.
Thank you!! I'm going to give it a little longer and will see how quiet they are being and what other eggs are doing. If they are good I will wait till morning. Unfortunately I have my bator in the bathroom in my 16 month olds room...lol Once she goes to sleep it will be hard to move chicks
jumpy.gif

@WendyF Sorry to hear about your hatch. A similar thing happend with my Penciled Rocks. All were moving when put in bator. Only four hatched of eleven. When I performed an autopsy on one it was fully formed with exception of yolk being absorbed. It also had a deformed cross beak. So I guess it wouldn't have made it anyway.

Praying that you get some late hatches.

Back
Top Bottom