August Hatch-A-Long

Oh. I thought they might be muscovies like mine Which take 35 days to hatch. Nevertheless, good luck with your hatch. Fingers crossed for you

Oh well, thank you anyway! Late tonight (because I couldn't sleep) I have candled and noticed two more pips externally, all the others are still packed in tight with no apparent internal pip. I'll leave them all be now...and just wait!!

Last edited:
Help! I am getting worried. The 2nd egg still has not hatched. I noticed an external pip yesterday around 3 pm so it has been about 22 hours. It may have happened before that though...I have no idea how long. Mama is still sitting patiently. Do I try to lift her to see what is going on? She does not like to be messed with so I have refrained and have only caught quick glimpses of the egg.

Last edited:
With a broody, I stay hands off. If there's no viable anything, she'll be off of the nest. In the last couple weeks I've hatched over 30 chicks. Some came out in a couple hours some took 30 hours.

With a broody, I stay hands off. If there's no viable anything, she'll be off of the nest. In the last couple weeks I've hatched over 30 chicks. Some came out in a couple hours some took 30 hours.

Thank you! I have tried to be hands off. I can't help but be worried. She already disposed of one egg around day 15 that was progressing when I candled around day 12. So I know I should trust her. She is still sitting patiently.

I put supposedly fertile eggs under my broody and she discarded all of them around the second week. Turns out they weren't fertilized! I took her off the nest but she kept returning- I put a hopefully fertilized egg under her three days ago. I did a controlled breeding yesterday and will take the fertilized hens out of the broody coop in about nine days. Hopefully the eggs will hatch!!

I still had a bad feeling so I decided to go out and check. The chick is dead :( There was an external pip, but it didn't get any farther than that. I wish I would have checked last night. I am so sad. I tried to show my broody, and she still tried to put the egg under her. Poor mama! I picked it out and showed it to her again. This time she pecked its beak. Once she saw it didn't respond, she hopped up and started showing the other chick how to eat and drink. She kept looking over at the dead chick. So sad for her.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom