August Hatch-A-Long

Here are the 4 survivors of my first Aug Hatch. The temps were high and low and the eggs were shipped. :) It was a bit of a mess.
I do staggered hatches so the next batch is in lock down.

Yay!!! They are so cute!! I have the same but no problem with temp but for sure humidity. Do you use more than one incubator?? If the same, what do you keep you humidity at?

Last edited:
Hi all!! So happy for all the new babies! Mine are doing great
smile.png
I just bought 24+ more eggs!!!
hide.gif
I'm hoping to do better next time. I'm wanting to find out a little from everyone on how the hatches are coming out for the ones that did dry hatches?? Dry hatch is leaving humidity alone as long as it doesn't go lower than 30??? And what do you keep it at for lockdown? My temp was great but I think I had to much humidity in the beginning and not enough for hatch. Losing 5 chicks doesn't sit well with me and I don't want to end up getting so nervous I help them hatch all by hand. The 5 that didn't make it never internal pipped, not sure what the cause of that is and 3 of them seemed not positioned right, again I don't know the reasoning. I'm sure being shipped eggs and me never have done this didn't help so I'm just very happy for my 4 chicks!! Thanks again for any advise and help I can get. Happy hatching!
love.gif
jumpy.gif

I think for your first time with shipped eggs, 4 chicks is great!! I am hooked on dry hatching! My humidity for the last two hatches was around 30 % I think 25% to 30% is good, I would probably add a tiny bit of water if it got down to 22, 23%... maybe. So far in my last two hatches, all viable chicks that were in proper position hatched, without help and even though I had opened my bator a lot. It seems like the bigger the chick, the harder time they may have getting into the right position if they get a little askew. With shipped eggs there is greater chance of chicks being mal positioned because of air cell issues etc.

Good luck with the new eggs : ) I guess we'll need a September hatch a long soon. My big batch of Seramas is due on the 4th.

I think for your first time with shipped eggs, 4 chicks is great!! I am hooked on dry hatching! My humidity for the last two hatches was around 30 % I think 25% to 30% is good, I would probably add a tiny bit of water if it got down to 22, 23%... maybe. So far in my last two hatches, all viable chicks that were in proper position hatched, without help and even though I had opened my bator a lot. It seems like the bigger the chick, the harder time they may have getting into the right position if they get a little askew. With shipped eggs there is greater chance of chicks being mal positioned because of air cell issues etc.

Good luck with the new eggs : ) I guess we'll need a September hatch a long soon. My big batch of Seramas is due on the 4th.
Yay!! Yes we need a September hatch a long!! Thank you, I'm happy with my 4 chicks but If I had known to make a pip for the other 5 I really feel I could have saved some if not all, that part is hard. I'm not one that likes to interfere but its going to be hard next time not to if I don't start getting more pips...lol I really think it was my humidity that didn't do me good. My next ones should be around the 13th depending on when they get here!!! They are shipped though!!! I have 12 blue wyandottes and 12 blue laced red wyandottes in transit
wee.gif
I'm hoping just maybe I could try for a black out of the blue's. Thank you .again for the help.

So I had the weirdest night! I had five chicks in the brooder and 3 eggs left in the hatcher. I was a little worried they would hatch overnight because I noticed the temp would go up in the hatcher after chicks hatched. I still haven't figured out how it could get up to 102, 104? I really don't get it. Anyhoo, I hoped they would hatch in the morning so I went to bed and my peachicks, who are sensitive creatures, started freaking out. They have a sort of distress coo and it can get pretty loud... and they do it in unison. I was trying to figure out what was upsetting them, and it is about 3:30 am at this point and I was super tired after the long day. I thought I was going to loose it when they didn't stop. I started singing to them and they finally settled down until there was a loud cheeping coming from the back bathroom where the hatcher is. One of the chicks had hatched and the peachicks started up their racket again. Another egg was zipping and the last egg was not in the right position to hatch so I helped him out a little and then the last two hatched together. I gave them a little time and then put them in the brooder as I just was not trusting the temp in the hatcher. Everyone is fine and happy this morning... all 8 fuzzies... I will get photos soon!

Last night I had candled my frizzle Serama's eggs and I thought one looked pretty close. I was wondering when this thing was going to hatch, but no sign of internal pipping or anything. This morning I check on everyone and Frizzle is backwards on her nest and there is a tiny yellow head poking out! I was so surprised. It looks like it just hatched, still drying out!

So I was hoping for 8 chicks in the absolute best scenario and got 9! Pretty amazing!! I am really tired, but feeling blessed.
love.gif

So I had the weirdest night! I had five chicks in the brooder and 3 eggs left in the hatcher. I was a little worried they would hatch overnight because I noticed the temp would go up in the hatcher after chicks hatched. I still haven't figured out how it could get up to 102, 104? I really don't get it. Anyhoo, I hoped they would hatch in the morning so I went to bed and my peachicks, who are sensitive creatures, started freaking out. They have a sort of distress coo and it can get pretty loud... and they do it in unison. I was trying to figure out what was upsetting them, and it is about 3:30 am at this point and I was super tired after the long day. I thought I was going to loose it when they didn't stop. I started singing to them and they finally settled down until there was a loud cheeping coming from the back bathroom where the hatcher is. One of the chicks had hatched and the peachicks started up their racket again. Another egg was zipping and the last egg was not in the right position to hatch so I helped him out a little and then the last two hatched together. I gave them a little time and then put them in the brooder as I just was not trusting the temp in the hatcher. Everyone is fine and happy this morning... all 8 fuzzies... I will get photos soon!

Last night I had candled my frizzle Serama's eggs and I thought one looked pretty close. I was wondering when this thing was going to hatch, but no sign of internal pipping or anything. This morning I check on everyone and Frizzle is backwards on her nest and there is a tiny yellow head poking out! I was so surprised. It looks like it just hatched, still drying out!

So I was hoping for 8 chicks in the absolute best scenario and got 9! Pretty amazing!! I am really tired, but feeling blessed.
love.gif
Congrats!!! Great hatching!!!

Yay!! Yes we need a September hatch a long!! Thank you, I'm happy with my 4 chicks but If I had known to make a pip for the other 5 I really feel I could have saved some if not all, that part is hard. I'm not one that likes to interfere but its going to be hard next time not to if I don't start getting more pips...lol I really think it was my humidity that didn't do me good. My next ones should be around the 13th depending on when they get here!!! They are shipped though!!! I have 12 blue wyandottes and 12 blue laced red wyandottes in transit
wee.gif
I'm hoping just maybe I could try for a black out of the blue's. Thank you .again for the help.

I know it is hard to loose any babies! I still think of a couple peachicks I lost and my first failed duck attempt. From my experience so far, it is harder to help chicks that have not externally pipped. It can be done but is trickier. If a chick can pip externally then they are in a much better position to get help if they can't zip. I think this is where the dry hatching is great because the chicks aren't so big so they can usually at least pip or make some sort of crack and then 12 hours or so later you an easily help them out a little.

love.gif

Congrats on your excellent hatch results! My 10 eggs went into lock down this morning, keeping my fingers crossed

I have 15 eggs in the hatcher due today. I'm not sure what time of day I set them but probably toward evening. There are 3 external pips.

I have 39 more eggs in the incubator with 4 different set dates. I also have 2 newly broody hens. I have some major repairs to do to the incubator, changing fans and controllers. I'm thinking of putting 2 sets of eggs under the 2 setters, put the rest in the LG for a couple days and get the repairs done.

Yay!!! They are so cute!! I have the same but no problem with temp but for sure humidity. Do you use more than one incubator?? If the same, what do you keep you humidity at?

I use a hobo-var for incubation and I can rarely get the humidity lower then 40%. I use a small older incubator for hatching... Humidity is at about 50%

Back
Top Bottom